AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

New weapons policy - Do we need to remove these items from our site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

A few days ago we received the following email from Google Adwords:

"Dear AdWords Advertiser,

We're writing to let you know about a change to Google's advertising policies that might affect your AdWords account. 

From September, we'll be clarifying and simplifying our policy on knives, guns, gun parts and other weapons designed to injure others in combat, self-defence or sport. Some products that we currently allow won't be allowed under the new policies. Examples of products that will no longer be allowed include paintball guns, airsoft guns, BB guns, gunscopes, ammunition belts, stun guns and tactical knives. 

You can see a preview of our new Dangerous Content policy. (https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6014299?hl=en-GB)

When we make this change, any ads or sites that are identified as violating our revised policy won't be able to run. 

Our system identified the following accounts associated with your email address as potentially affected by this policy change: 

[account ID removed]

We ask that you make any necessary changes to your ads and sites to comply so that your campaigns can continue to run. 

Google requires that advertisers comply with all applicable laws and regulations, as well as AdWords policies, at all times. So it's important that you keep up to date on these requirements for the places where your business operates as well as any other places that your ads are showing. 

Yours sincerely,
The Google AdWords Team"

We have an AdWords account that promotes gun scopes, and it is clear from this email that come September we will no longer be able to promote them via AdWords. Although this is quite annoying, it shouldn't be too hard to comply as I can just pause the offending adgroups.

However, what is not clear is whether we will have to remove these products from the website entirely (or at least, the version of the website that the AdWords visitors see) in order to continue using AdWords to promote our other products.

Does anyone know the answer to this? In order to continue using AdWords for our other products, will we have to remove the gun scopes (which will violate the AdWords policy) from the website?

Thanks,

Louise

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New weapons policy - Do we need to remove these items from our sit

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I believe that as per the current update, the policy is going to get implemented around September (it's only the preview) and it is clearly said that it is subject to change (if required). I would suggest you to keep a regular update on this policy page link which you have shared and see if any major change or any alteration is done by the AdWords Policy Team.

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Louise,

I work with an advertiser that doesn't sell guns or gun parts but is in a situation similar to yours: on their site they sell some products that are prohibited in AdWords alongside products that are approved. Our experience has been that it's fine to leave the prohibited products on the site--we just can't place ads for them. However, I see what you mean about the policy not being clear on this issue, so I would advise calling Support to double-check. Usually the phone reps are very helpful with questions like these.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Yes ; You have to remove the items from the landing page if you wish to continue and advertise the site on Googke
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Google has clarified that if your domains content is significantly about the "dangerous" items, your entire domain will be blocked from all adwords advertising. Large online companies such as Walmart will be allowed to continue to advertise as the now banned products are a relatively small portion of their offerings.
To provide feedback to Google, use this link:
https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/aw_complaint

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ken ;
Could provide a link where Google clarified that : "Large online companies such as Walmart will be allowed to continue to advertise as the now banned products are a relatively small portion of their offerings."?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ken,

Thank you - please could you link me to wherever Google have clarified this?

Thanks,
Louise

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't have a link. I talked to Google directly. When I was first informed that Google would disallow domains that sold paintball guns, I asked if this would apply to sear.com and walmart.com. The Google rep needed to get clarification from The department that makes these rules. On the follow up call, I was informed that websites would be banned at the domain level on a case by case basis. domains that are predominantly about banned items would be disallowed. Since walmart.com sells much more than paintball, it would not be banned.

Also, it was suggested that I make a separate website to sell non-banned items (paintball clothing and protective equipment so that we can advertise and compete against big websites. When I looked into this solution, I find that Google Adwords has policies against "mirrored" product listings and rules against linking back to our main brand website from a site set up just for Adwords compliance. This advice also goes against organic SEO and Brand advice from Matt Cutts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have an archery website and we sell other items such as clothes. We did not advertise anything other than the clothes but Google suspended our web site then our adwords account. They said we could not advertise any product for our website as long as we continue to sell archery bows(compound bows, recurve bows and crossbows). They said we could remove all bows from our website then  they would reconsider. Well that's like a hot dog stand that cant sell hot dogs. We are an archery website. What bothers me more than anything is that Cabela's, Bass pro, gander mountain and even wal mart can still advertise with google and they all sell archery bows on their websites so why don't the big box stores have to follow the same rules with google?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Deborah;
Would you be kind to open a new thread / discussion for your case - should  we  need to refer it   to Google, it will be "isolated" from this, more general, discussion
(Just copy/ paste the content to a new thread). And also please include your URL

Thanks!