AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

New domain -- making sure I'm doing it right

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am making some changes in my business.  I'm moving the main commercial domain to a new domain and building a new website.  I'm increasing the amount of products and services.  

I want to make sure I do it right, so I don't get punished by Google.   

My preference is to do it as follows:

--Build the new website with new domain with mostly new and unique content but using some content from the previous site.

--A lot of things will be the same, ie owner's name, address, telephone number, the WHOIS ownership, etc. I'd rather not do a lot of work to make this different.

--I want to open a new Adwords account for this domain.  The reason is that my old site has some crappy landing pages, Quality Score, account history, etc.  I don't want my new products and services penalized by this.  I think this is appropriate, because I will be positioning and representing my company in a totally new way.

--I will never have crossover on live campaigns in two different Adwords accounts at the same time.  I will sign up for the new Adwords account and set up campaigns while the old one is still live, but then when everything is approved and ready, I will pause the old account permanently and run from the new account.

--I won't redirect any of my old domain pages, and I won't turn it off.  I'll keep it live.  I just won't run any Adwords or actively market it.

Is this all OK?  I'm paranoid about Google suspending my new site.  Or heaven forbid suspending both my new site and my old site.  But then again, I don't want to be overly conservative with my new business plans because I'm worried over non-issues.

Also, a few questions about how to logistically set the account up:

--I'd like to use the same credit card I was using for the old account, but I think i probably can't do that?  Do I have to use a different card?  That's fine I guess but was hoping to use same card.

--Do I have to use a different name and address when I set up the new account, ie I can have a business partner set it up, or can I use the same name?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New domain -- making sure I'm doing it right

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi there,

Welcome to the Community!

Moving to a new domain, changing content on landing pages and representing it in a new way is fine. However, I wouldn't suggest creating a new account, as it is one business - one account in principle. There are advantages in having the same account, as you'll not loose all the history. AdWords would update itself about changes you've made to your website and hence I wouldn't suggest a new account. I'd like to ask here - was you site suspended for any policy violations? If so, you'll have to work towards fixing it; instead of creating a new account.

Cheers,
Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, I don't have any violations or site suspension or anything like that.

I assumed that I would be advised on this forum not to open another account. But I'd like to know if it would be considered against Google policy and get me in trouble. I've been advised by PPC consultants that I should create a new account, for the reasons stated in my OP.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Well, I'm not sure why that was suggested; but I don't see any advantages in creating a new account. However, to answer your question: it is not a direct violation of Google's policies, provided both of them aren't running them simultaneously.

Good luck,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. Is there a certain way I need to set up the new account to make sure Google doesn't assume I'm doing something suspicious?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello,

In addition to what Sumanth said above, one work around could be (in case you doesn't want to use your current AdWords account due to one reason or another) that you cancel your this AdWords account and get the confirmation from AdWords support once any refund or billing is settled down. 

After that you create a fresh new account with this new domain, new landing pages, keywords, account etc. and start optimizing this account. Doing this won't violate the Double Serving Policy as per my understanding because you will be making sure that your old account is permanently closed and the new one is the only account, you are working upon. You might speak with AdWords support about this plan and get their opinion as well.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

I think you're deeply concerned about the new account being suspended. Of course, you'll have to ensure your website (mainly) and ad copies comply with Google's advertising policies. You don't have to be worried if these two are taken care. Again, I wouldn't go with a new account, as the business advertised is the same and also because all valuable data would be lost.

Sumanth Sridhar