AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

New business owner. Bought a bad domain. Account Suspended.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A cautionary tale for other new business owners.   I am new to this and made what seems a very simple mistake.  Hopefully this post will prevent others from doing the same.

Please help

In February, I set up a website for my business.  I purchased "AmiciUsa.com", thinking it would be a perfect domain name.  Along with my domain purchase, I received a coupon for $100 worth of free advertising on Google Ad Words.

I launched the site with the given domain, and created an Ad Words account, intending to use the credit to advertise.  That's when it all went wrong.

My campaign never ran due to policy violation errors.  It took me about a day with Google webmaster tools to determine that "AmiciUsa.com" was tagged in the Google system as a spam domain.

My response was to remove the campaign, acquire a new, spam-free domain, and begin again.  I decided to go slower and not use my Ad Words credit until I knew what I was doing.

Today, one month later, my Ad Words campaign (and my unused $100 credit) is suspended.  As far as I can tell, the old spam domain is still considered in violation of their policies, even though it is parked.

It took about 20 minutes to completely mess up my Ad Words account, and I never even got a single ad served.  My website was using the spam domain for less than 48 hours.

My questions are:

Is there any hope of recovering my suspended account and being able to use that credit to advertise my (non-policy violating) website?

How could I have known that "AmiciUsa.com" was a bad domain before paying a premium price for it?  I've entered it into several online tools that claim to show Google banned domains, but it shows as clear until I verify it in Google Webmaster tools.  That's when it reveals that a "Manual Action" was posted against it long before I owned it.

My biggest mistake was ignoring an email from Ad Words from setting up that initial campaign.  My domain was in violation, so in response I moved to another domain.  Should I have done something else? 

Can I "fix" AmiciUsa.com without damaging my new domain's search engine ranking? 

Is there any kind of support beyond this forum for people in my position?  
I tried to call Google Ad Words support, but because my account is now suspended, it (literally) hangs up on me.

I hope someone will shed some light on my situation, because I suspect many people have done the same thing I have,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New business owner. Bought a bad domain. Account Suspended.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

OUCH. WOOO; Ohhh.... 

This is sad, bad, and I don't know if this can be fixed;

In theory; this domain violated the spam techniques section of the Policy. A suspension  due to this violation   is usually  not reversible.  (Unlike a domain with "bad" content  - which could be fixed, if you "fix" the content)

We'll have to check with Google about this case...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just to clarify, I'd be happy if they could simply remove all references to AmiciUsa.com from my account. I don't intend to ever use that domain.

I want my relationship with Google to be judged on my actions, not the bad practices of the previous owner.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Don N
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Don ;

Your case was checked by Google;

The account was un-suspended, and you can run your campaigns, but obviously not using  the same domain,

Good luck with your campaign, and watch out the domains you buy.. Smiley Surprised

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Excellent news. Thank you very much.