AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

New Strategy to bid on competitor brand keywords in foreign country?

C O
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
C O
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Our brand monitoring report showed us that some of our competitors are bidding on our brand keywords in Austria, Switzerland and France and the reffering Google site. They also have websites in these countries.

The market we are opperating in is only Germany and we have our Ads online only on Google.de.

Is this some kind of strategy I don't know about, or why are they not booking our keywords in the main market Germany, where our brand is known and has search volume? I don't know the advantage they would get from this.

It would be great if anyone could share their ideas with me.

Thanks

Claudia

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New Strategy to bid on competitor brand keywords in foreign countr

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

To me it  sounds  pretty much as a pure business decision,  to focus in AdWords campaign  in other markets, Or they are going "one country at  time", learning campaigns' performances before targeting the main market.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Can they gather sales from other adiacent markets too ? Location targeting has a 5-10 miles margin of error in my opinion (not a documented fact).lf so they can get clicks from Germany even if they target border neighbours. Also cost par click may be lower in other countries since maybe they are not facing competition there on those keywords, you can check aprox. cpc per Country or City with the keyword planner. This is my theory.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Adrian;

The OP is talking about targeting a whole country; not  border areas between Germany and its  neighbouring countries.  (If those can be targeted at all,....) Smiley Wink

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’