AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

My surname is being illegitimately blacklisted.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Because my last name is Padron, Google Adwords keeps throwing my ads into review. This is because of Padron Cigars, which I am not affiliated with. 

Padron is a common spanish surname. It's a wrongheaded policy to block every ad that includes the name Padron because one family has a tobacco business. As a result of this, running ads is an onerous task. It takes several days for an approval and if I have to revise or edit something it goes into approval again. 

I've tried reaching out to numerous parties in Google but I cannot get a definitive answer. I also don't know how this impacts SERP. 

Please whitelist the surname Padron. It has nothing at all to do with tobacco. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: My surname is being illegitimately blacklisted.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@pwclp;

Google has its procedures. Let's see what happens when you submit new ads, before we ask again to revisit the issue.

Bring data (after the you informed): dates that ads were created, submitted for approval, compared with other ads.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello pwclp;

Those things do happen when you let machines / robots take action... Smiley Happy

I will refer your case to Google,

There should be a way to put you on a white-list...

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 3
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Thanks, Moshe.

@pwclp: I'll pass your issue to the AdWords support team.
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you. So you know I've already been dealing with the Adwords support team for over a week on this, and as well I dealt with this several months ago before I just gave up on it. The problem so far is that I am getting follow-up on *expediting reviews*, but no word at all on whitelisting my name, which is at the core of this issue and needs to be corrected .

I can't be reasonably expected to just have every ad go into review, not be able to make edits, and worse, have it go into review again once I can make an edit. It's not a reasonable thing to expect of anybody. It's pretty much a blocker. 

The whole thing just feels very nebulous and what I am hoping for is at least somebody to tell me when I can expect for this to reasonably go away?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been informed by the Adwords support team that no whitelisting is neccessary because I would be approved under Google Policy anyway. 

Please understand that while an ad is under review, you cannot edit it unlike an eligible ad. And seeing that ads are under review, it can take days to make practical changes. The practical effect as of right now is that anything that does not include my name in the text sails through approval while anything that has my name languishes for several days. Even though I am being told there's no functional difference of treatment, the facts simply do not reflect this. More to the point, it's entirely immaterial: My name is receiving a different set of treatment than the names of others for no legitimate cause. The practice of specifically blacklisting this name because of a loose association to tobacco is not just deeply inconsiderate and somewhat offensive towards all Hispanics with this surname, but just has zero standing. I am really hoping this will simply stop. 

Being told that this isn't a problem and requires no fixing is disappointing. Is this really the case or am I just getting the runaround? Please understand that because this is not just my business name but my actual name, it's an important matter which I do not intend to drop until I have exausted all possible exploration of my rights pertaining to this situation. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@pwclp;

Google has its procedures. Let's see what happens when you submit new ads, before we ask again to revisit the issue.

Bring data (after the you informed): dates that ads were created, submitted for approval, compared with other ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'll do that. Thanks.