AdWords
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

My site is suddenly suspended after running an ad for almost a month

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I provide software for the legal cannabis industry. I was told I was in violation of the following:      
Display URL: cannaniche.com
Policy violation: Recreational drugs
Details & instructions: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6014299#323

If you read the possible violations and compare that to my website, I do not see how I am in violation.

1) My site does not promote any of these substances, just software.
2) My site is not facilitating recreational drug use. It is facilitating software for dispensaries in the industry.
3) There is no information about producing/purchasing/using recreational drugs on my website.

Can someone tell me where specifically on my website I am in violation of any of these so I can fix this. I am not trying to bend the rules, I just do not understand what I need to do. I talked to support on the phone but they told me to look at that link that I had already taken a look at.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Any related aids / devices (including software) which are intended for the sole  purpose of facilitating  the consumption or production (i.e growth)  of recreational drugs are not allowed to be promoted. No exceptions. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

With that in mind, how is my competition getting away with this? They are using adwords for the exact same purposes. I see their ads on google all the time, it's what gave me the idea to use adwords.

I am advertising software for dispensaries to use, not consumers.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't understand. Why is it I type 'cannabis dispensary point of sale' and I see Google Ads - with the keywords in the ads? These are big point of sale companies - I don't understand why they are exempt; they are my client's competitors. What am I missing? Please advise - thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Reid - Did you ever find resolution with this? I'm running into the same problem. Thanks ~ Jeanie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Unfortunately I have not. I can't get a straight answer about what's wrong with my website (if I'm lucky enough to get a response). Each support person I've talked to said that my site looks fine and then they send it into "review." And then nothing ever happens or they say they'll call me back and never do. I feel helpless working with support.

I just can't understand how my website is suspended vs. competition selling the same services. It'd be nice to know what they're doing differently so that I can fix mine.

How has your experience been, Jeanie? Any luck?

Does anyone know if there is someone I can talk to who can actually assist me with getting the suspension lifted?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Again, the policy on recreational drugs (e.g. cannabis) is clear:

Products or services marketed as facilitating recreational drug use OR  Promotion of instructional content about producing, purchasing, or using recreational drugs - are not allowed.

If you find a competitor which violates this Policy, you could file a complaint.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand completely, Reid. I've had *horrible* customer support interactions that proved fruitless. I reached out to Google algorithm guru Avinash Kaushik, but haven't heard back yet. I'm also experiencing a lack of detail. I think our clients may be competitors, but I'm all for helping us figure this out! If I learn anything of value, I will pop back here and share with you.

Re: My site is suddenly suspended after running an ad for almost a month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That would be great. I'll do the same. I'm not worried about you being a competitor once we can get our ads up and running again Smiley Tongue!