AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

My site has recently been suspended by Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our website, www.tryscratch.com, was recently suspended by Google because we require a user to signup before they can access the site. It sounds like having a gated landing page experience is against Google's policies, but I can think of lots of websites that do this.

Here's what Google says:

Landing pages that are solely designed to send users elsewhere

• Examples: Bridge, doorway, gateway, or other intermediate pages

Here are some examples of websites breaking this rule:

Does anyone know why we are getting disapproved when there are lots of other larger sites out there that are doing the same thing? I know they spend significantly more money with Google than us, but feels like the policy should apply to everyone. 

Lastly, who can you talk to about this issue? The emails I've been getting in response to my questions have just been to direct me to policies, not really help me understand the underlying issue, and why we're different than other sites.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My site has recently been suspended by Google

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Casey H;

This practice, known as information harvesting is not allowed.

The landing page has to include all relevant information about the product and services offered.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MosheTLV,

Thanks you for your response. What other information would we need on the homepage so that it includes all relevant information about the site? We say what our personal shoppers can help you with, and that the service is free. There's also a link to FAQs which answer any questions a user might have.

Can you provide any insight into why the other landing pages I listed are not in violation? Seems like they are doing the same thing.

Thanks,
Casey

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also, worth pointing out that our service requires a user to create an account so we have somewhere to send their personalized recommendations that our shoppers find for them. I would label this information harvesting, and I know forcing users to create an account before using a service is pretty standard (Pinterest, Facebook, etc).

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again @Casey H;

I did not check the other sites. This would be beyond our scope here, and our limited time as volunteers.

Having said that, generally speaking, sites in violation will be caught by a bot scanning the webpage, or by a human reviewer, sooner or later...

I disagree with  your statement about FB or Pinterest:  their business model is different from yours. While you are an online store, they are social media networks;

In any case, read this article about the landing page experience:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

One  word of caution: in addition to the landing page, the site might have other violations. Google  informs only on the major section of the Policy violated. (Which in your case is information harvesting.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! Good point on FB and Pinterest, but according to Google's policies their landing page would not meet their requirements. Also, I think the fact that Zulily is still running ads is a bit bizarre since they are a massive company that has been directing traffic to a gated page for years now. Surprising that a bot and/or human reviewer haven't stumbled across that yet.

Appreciate all your help with this--I'll keep talking with Google's policy team to see if we can get this ban lifted, or what we'd specifically need to do to comply with their policies.