AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

My question is in regards to AdWords policy on affiliate links on websites.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm creating a website where customers can check out review articles I write about various products. I plan on including affiliate links for the products I review as a method for customers to support me and my website if they choose to purchase the item after reading my review.

If I use AdWords to drive traffic to my website, would the inclusion of these affiliate links be a violation of the affiliate marketing no-bridgepage policy?

Thanks for the help!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: My question is in regards to AdWords policy on affiliate links on websites.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Arthur C,

The short answer is... yes it is a violation.

The longer answer is that every affiliate listing website is a violation of the AdWords bridge page policy. Affiliates and AdWords is problematic and will get you banned from AdWords. 

Kind Regards,

James  

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arthur C
August 2016

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Google expects the purpose of your site is to promote your own product or service.

Google wants the search experience to be the best it can be. If multiple ads can potentially lead to the same product, then the experience isn't as good. In the early days of AdWords, there was sometimes 8 ads that were all funnelling searchers to the same end product...

That's why the bridge page policy exists, as well as the disapproval of affiliate ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I see. So basically it's either remove affiliate links and use AdWords, or keep affiliate links and find other means of driving traffic?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Yes, that is correct, Arthur.

It's best to follow all guidelines with AdWords and preserve the use of it for the future.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @J Clemens for the help. Looks like I'm going back to the drawing board to figure out another way to monetize my website.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Arthur C,

You are very welcome. Sorry for the news... but I know you will find the right solution. 

If we can help with anything further, please just let us know. 

Kind Regards,

James

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
While removing the affiliate links will probably be sufficient, Google does still expect you to be offering a product or service. If there is no obvious way for you to benefit from the ad spend, Google might see that as suspicious.

Also, make sure that the reviews are completely original - Google will suspend suspend your website if it contains scraped content.