AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Multiple brand names in different adwords account

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Everyone! Greetings.

I have a question for the bigwigs of Adwords that might not be answered objectively but will make it as simpler as I can. I had a careful look a 'poor cousin' of my concern here at https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Multiple-accounts-different-websi...

I manage 3 websites for a client say:

1abc.com - promotes only brand X

2abc.com -  2abc promotes only brand Y

3abc.com - 3abc promotes multiple brands including (in very small ratio) brand X

What is best way to structure the campaign so that all three can be advertised effectively. Currently 1abc and 3abc (for brand X and multiple brand) are in 1 account AND 2abc (brand Y) in another. We can rule our, if appropriate, 2abc in the discussion as it has its own account and not interfering with anything. The other two are major party poppers. The major issues I feel they are creating are:

I feel all of them do not perform well in harmony, (they have their own search and shopping campaigns respectively) though the disparity is not mammoth, it is quite discernible. One does better for a week, then another next week, and it goes on that way and has been happening for about 3 months now. I fathom they would do better in their own accounts and so thinking of shifting 3abc.com ( multiple brand incl a small fraction of brand X promoted in 1abc.com. That will have all 3 sites with different brands in different adwords account.

All brands belong to similar type of product categories (like football and basketball are different but somehow related with 'Ball') yet have their own brand names to be used as keywords.

Question- will moving the multiple brand site to another account and excluding products that are also in another site mount to any violation? Once again, products are similar but not same, keywords cannot be used interchangeably for any of the brand.

Hope I have been able to convey my concern succinctly.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ajay S
September 2015

Re: Multiple brand names in different adwords account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ajay,

To be short and simple, advertisers trying to advertise multiple websites using same business via different AdWords accounts is not allowed and is a violation of Double Serving Policy as per my understanding.

More Policy details are here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en

Also, if the violations continue, the account and other related accounts might get suspension: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2375414?hl=en&rd=1

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ajay S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ajay,

To be short and simple, advertisers trying to advertise multiple websites using same business via different AdWords accounts is not allowed and is a violation of Double Serving Policy as per my understanding.

More Policy details are here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en

Also, if the violations continue, the account and other related accounts might get suspension: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2375414?hl=en&rd=1

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Pankaj for the effort, looking for a more specific solution to the issue tho.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Ajay;

These are the rules of the game. ... And it seems that you are playing "a dangerous game" trying to game the system.
You are not allowed to promote the same business using different accounts. This is a violation. I would strongly recommend to stop this practice.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Moshe, I put the question up only after reading the entire post (link mentioned in my question) , you had mentioned:

"Hello ordsoth; welcome;
Double serving is not an easy section to understand , and has some variations. The deadline is the same : one business - one account , whether it is individual or a company
Quote:
For each Business (or multiple business's in which you have controling interest) - One account per unique product brand. This is a specific case (not a general guideline) , that is correct under certain conditions, (that must also be fulfilled). It does not necessarily "hold" for all businesses ."

To be more specific, you said 'one account per unique product brand' and I have mentioned that concerned client is dealing with different brand names in all the sites which have different domain names altogether. Does that make it any different? If not, it would be nice if you  explain "Double serving is not an easy section to understand , and has some variations" and help me understand the policy better. 

Thanks in advance

Ajay

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ajay;

You are misquoting me!  And taking my reply out of the overall context, in  the long thread, in which it was initially  posted. Smiley Mad

The post you linked    goes back  more than 2 years ago. Even in a Policy timeline / timescale this is a very long period. The Policy has changed number of times since then, including the  double serving (now known  as gaining unfair advantage)

I underlined in that  reply that this was a unique case that could not be applied in the case linked. You are taking a case that could not be applied  2 years ago,  and  trying to  manipulate it and apply it today. Even if it were applicable, it is could not  be applied since the Policy was  changed significantly (number of times)

My advice: don't try to game the system. The coincidence could be horrendous,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for the reply. To be clear about the discussion, not looking to game the system , wont be discussing it with you had that been the case. Is there a way to get rid of outdated posts, difficult as it might me. A live example of how outdated posts can waste so many man hours of everyone involved! Appreciate your time and effort.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Ajay;

Again; you misinterpret my reply. I did not say that the thread  is outdated / irrelevant.

That post which you linked is still valid. It discusses the basic concept for  SMB AW advertisers:  "one business  - one account.",

This community has dozens of posts about double serving.  You can sort  them by date. As with any tech forum, the latest discussions are the most updated.   You would agree that online advertising platforms are very dynamic...

You took one post, and tried to present a case not allowed. I am glad that you clarified that this was not your intent. 

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks again Moshe, obviously the intent was never to game the system, gamers don't beat trumpets of their heroics and patriotism, do they? (said in a lighter vein). Agree I should have had a look at the date. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Moshe, cant i mark your post as 'Accepted as solution"? I see this green tab struck through.