AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Misrepresentation/misleading

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had an hypnotherapy business that has used Adwords for ~4 years. My web-ste has not changed in that time.

I have suddenly been suspended for being misrepresentative/misleading. 

I understand where Google are coming from but I disagree. Of course they win, which I have to accept. So for example they don't like the site having a picture of a cigarette snapped in two in connection with smoking cessation, or the use of a stock photo which depicts a hand with a pint of beer and a handcuff.

I am a one-man business and have negligible web skills, so the changes being demanded will involve a cost to me. I have asked three times for an example of the wording/what size, what font that needs to be used to say that    'this picture is symbolic' or 'results may vary from person to person'

Is there any where I can go to get this info? I really don't want to pay someone to do what I think Google require only to subsequently be told by Google that it is too big, too small, wrong colour and then have to pay the guy again.

I lecture in hypnotherapy, I have students who ask 'how do you advertise/get business?'. Do I need to be able to tell them that a picture of a broken cigarette is not allowed on ads

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Misrepresentation/misleading

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ian F;

My view is that the issue here is more deep and touches the practice of hypnotherapy as a method of healing and the claims made. In other words: the cause for suspension is not "technical" issues (e.g. Pictures or a disclaimer missing), but a more  fundamental one,  rooted in  the claims made.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh I don't doubt that at all. That the UK government/NHS now offers it is irrelevant !!

My issue is knowing how to to placate Google and get back to being allowed to use Adwords. I have got as close to begging in emails for info as is feasible. Do I need to overlay words over my photos? Can I use the smallest of "small print"? Would I get away with a terms and conditions link?

I really want to do the right thing, first time. Just can't find out what is required :-(

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Can you share the website URL?
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry didn't read your reply thoroughly !

They have sent screen shots with arrows pointing the photos I mentioned. So not allowed a picture of a snapped cigarette. Their dislike of a client quote is more understandable, although the challenge is I have to protect client confidentiality, so getting anonymous references is always going to be problematic.

My site is www.-well-now.co.uk if you're interested !

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

As I mentioned, my view is that the content  and the claims on the site have to be revamped re-written.  In general, Google does not allow claims about healing / curing / change in life style   unless the claims made follow conventional scientific practices.

This is how I see the issue here. I doubt that changing  pictures or minor changes to testimonials would suffice  / convince google to reinstate the account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The images which Google have sent have arrows pointing to photos saying 'not allowed', so the snapped cig for example. I then have red arrows pointing to "Marie had tried ..." on smoking page, saying 'disclaimer'. The home page has "images not allowed .... no disclaimer"

I undertand these comments, even if I don't agree with them !

What I have no idea about is what will placate the Google concerns. If it is that Google don't believe anything to do with hypnotherapy is it not worth my time, and expense, to try and meet their needs? 

So yes, lets condense it down to that. What do I need my home page to to make it acceptable to Google?

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thanks, we're playing ping-pong and I missing your reply while replying myself.

I really don't want to spend money on changing the whole site if it is a philisophical belief by Google that hypnotherapy is nonsense, and that they will reject what ever I say.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Ian F;

Claims like, "Break that smoking habit, become a non-smoker now. You’ve decided that it is time to stop smoking, and I will help you have no desire to smoke." fall under: "claims that entice the user with an improbable result (even if this result is possible) as the likely outcome that a user can expect" - and are not allowed.

Your site has many. Hence, my conclusion that the content of the site has to be (entirely) revamped,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Interesting!

The words you highlight were carefully chosen as the whole NLP/Hypnotherapy process is about using words to make people change the way they think.

Smoking is the second biggest group of clients that I see. (Weight loss is bigger). I turn away clients who don't give the "right" reasons on why they want to stop. A "good" reason is health a "bad" reason is to save money.

I know when the chance of success is reduced (like the good and bad reasons) which means my success rate rises. Last year I had 30/33 successes, and understood why the other 3 stayed as smokers.

I understand what you have said, and why Google may disapprove. However the total revamp of my site just isn't feasible. I don't make enough money to be able to do it. It was okay as a start-up cost but not as big piece of work that may still not meet Google's rules.

It's all quite sad really. Even more so that a superb Google expert spent a couple of hours on the phone with me back in the spring helping with words/targeting/general strategies etc.

I clearly need the Facebook equivalent now!

Thanks for all your comments I feel I understand a lot more than from the Google emails I have been getting for the last few weeks.

Ian