AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Misrepresentation - Misleading or Unrealistic Promotions policies

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have an ad for a blog post about planning your day to get more productive (http://www.njlifehacks.com/plan-your-day/). After review, the ad was disapproved because the site violates the policy "misleading or unrealistic promotions". Could the phrase "We dare you to try these 7 productivity hacks and not at least get 2x as much done." be problematic or is the landing page as a whole the problem?

Kind regards,
Dimitri

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dimitri S
June 2016

Re: Misrepresentation - Misleading or Unrealistic Promotions policies

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Dimitri S;

There are several violations on the site; the 2 major ones are:

• The main goal is collecting personal information. (Even if this was not the intent - the site's  code and design demonstrate this goal.)
  • All claims in the text must be within the  commonly accepted scientific methods / approach. Saying that planning a day  "motivates  an individual" or "prioritize the life" of an individual, is somewhat questionable... (Though I personally support...)

My view: the whole business model has to be changed before the site can be promoted on Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dimitri,

The term "Misleading or unrealistic promotions" often refers to cases where the issue is associated with the relation between the ad copy and the landing page. Therefore, could please share the ad copy as well so that some one could compare it with the promoted blog?

Thanks,
Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dimitri S
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Dimitri S;

There are several violations on the site; the 2 major ones are:

• The main goal is collecting personal information. (Even if this was not the intent - the site's  code and design demonstrate this goal.)
  • All claims in the text must be within the  commonly accepted scientific methods / approach. Saying that planning a day  "motivates  an individual" or "prioritize the life" of an individual, is somewhat questionable... (Though I personally support...)

My view: the whole business model has to be changed before the site can be promoted on Google.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again,

I looked at the download page and it seems like the old "information harvesting" trick, as @MosheTLV pointed out above. Giving free gifts in exchange for personal information is a practice which is not supported by Google.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dimitri S. Can you explain a bit more on what is considered wrong and where someone might cross the line in collecting personal information. For instance in some sites I have listed white papers on how to close your pool for the winter or the best way to clean your jewelry or a free bridal guide magazine download when you sign up for a newsletter. Is that considered a bad practice by google. Of course the person knows in advance they are signing up for the newsletter and can opt out when they get it. But I want to be sure this doesn't endanger site rankings. Thanks for anything you can share.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

you are not talking about me. my site is to help someone looking exactly for what I have to offer, and I will not succumb to telemarketers trying to sell me otherwise anything, to use google. thanks

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.