AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Misleading or unrealistic promotions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Google Adwords team & community,

We've been helping manage an Adwords account for a client that offers DNA fitness tests, diet and nutrition plans.

After several discussions with Google we were informed that new promotion ads are not active because the website has been suspended due it making claims and being misleading.

I discussed it with 2 account managers and read Google's guidelines on this here - https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020955?hl=en-GB

From the advice we got (which wasn't detailed enough), we've now got to go through the entire website adding disclaimers and modifying text. Even though the brand in question has been established for a long time, has academic partnerships, media coverage and the DNA fitness tests offered are backed by science.

I must say I find it amazing Google don't specify specific examples. Google must actually be losing money by not helping advertisers know exactly what they need to fix on their website.

I have some questions:

• Has anyone else had this issue? ... did they manage to get it resolved?
  • Once a site is demed to no longer be making claims/misleading how long does it normally take Google to authorise the website?

Kind regards,

Rob

Managing Director of Odyssey New Media - A leading Digital Marketing Agency in Birmingham, UK

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Misleading or unrealistic promotions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello @Odyssey N;

If you run a search on this community (or on Google) about "AdWords unreal claims" or "weight loss suspension" you will find hundreds of discussions on the topic.

All claims on the site promoted must  be real and within the "common acceptable scientific practice". For example, if you are promoting a site saying that you could lose weight based on DNA analysis, this is not  within the common scientific practice. Weight  loss programs require a  moderate diet and exercise.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’