AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Minecraft term in ad copy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out when an advertiser would be allowed to use the term "minecraft" in ad text. If I search "minecraft" in Google, I only see 1 ad (by ToysRUS), which makes me wonder if the usage of "minecraft" in ad text infringes any policies.

I've read through the policies on usage of trademark terms in ad texts, and it seems that: if someone would offer "minecraft servers", technically they should be allowed to put the term "minecraft" in their ad copy, as I quote:

"The ad's landing page is primarily dedicated to selling (or clearly facilitating the sale of) the components, replacement parts, or compatible products relating to the goods or services of the trademark."

But the fact that I see no ads for keywords "minecraft server" makes me think that it would get disapproved.. I mean the hosting business is such a large landscape, yet no one is grabbing a piece of this market?

Looking forward to hearing thoughts on this topic.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Minecraft term in ad copy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Michal B often when it seems there is a surprising lack of Ads, it's because others have tried advertising in the past and found it unprofitable (or, at least) unprofitable in your particular region).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
That's a good point, thanks for contributing to the conversation.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi @Michal B, I would agree with @Jon_Gritton - I've just googled [minecraft] in my region and saw few ads which contain "minecraft" so it may be not the matter of policy but anyway I can't gurantee that your website meets all Google policies.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks @Alexey C, it's surprising to see how certain large markets are simply "untapped".

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Michal B it may not be that they're "untapped" but rather that they've been "tapped" in the past (after all, Minecraft has been around for a while now) and it has proven to be unprofitable.  AdWords cannot guarantee a profit in all arenas and I can imagine that something like Minecraft servers - where there are so many free servers - could be one of those arenas in which it is difficult to achieve profitability.  

This doesn't mean they're not being promoted, of course, it may just mean they're not being promoted in AdWords Search.  It may be that Ads on the GDN work, or that other advertising networks have a more appropriate demographic, etc.

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Right @Jon_Gritton, but it also means that the market hasn't been tapped in a search context. Meaning marketers / product makers haven't figured out what these minecraft makers need/looking for in a search context.. which could be profitable, hence it's been untapped because it hasn't been figured out.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

The point is, @Michal B, it may be that there is no solution.  As I said, AdWords Search doesn't work for all products, for some, no matter how the Campaigns are created, the equation of income vs spend never reaches profitability.  Generally speaking, if there's a popular product and no Ads on Search, it's not because it's been missed or "untapped", it's because it's been fully and thoroughly explored by lots of advertisers and it's failed (this is, of course, assuming that the reason no Ads are displayed is because of performance, not some trademark issue we've not seen).

Consider the probability, in the vast online world, that you (and perhaps ToysRUs) are the only people to have thought about marketing Minecraft.  Now consider the other probability, that an enormous number of people thought about it, did it, and have already found the best methods to market Minecraft, and those methods don't include Google Search (for one reason or another).

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I understand your point @Jon_Gritton, but in my defence... you said it yourself, "it may be" that there is no solution, but I like to word it as: perhaps the solution hasn't been found, perhaps the product/market fit doesn't exist yet.