AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Malware From 3rd Party Ad Networks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've recently received a number of policy violations for 'malicious content'. In AdWords, when I hover over the ad status bubble there is a message saying this it due to malware. The site will violate policy and then be allowed to run again (this is about the 3rd time it's happened now). Having run a number of checks including taking a look at GWT, the results are coming back negative for malware.

I'm reasonably certain that my site does not contain malware, which to add some context is a media publishing site. What I suspect is that some nefarious ads are coming in through a third party display network on the site but I am not able to pinpoint the source of the issue or find particular ads that may be the culprit.

Wondering if anyone can shed light on their experience with a similar issue:

Were there particular ad networks or ad types causing these issues?

As mentioned I've run most of the basic checks so beyond that, how did you find the root cause of the problem?

As a bit of a second part to this, as a publisher, I'm wondering what other media publishers are using as a solution to continuously monitor for these types of malware issues/how are you avoiding tripping AdWords policy violations?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Malware From 3rd Party Ad Networks

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ryan,

You would agree that Google takes policy violations very seriously. It in return protects the interests of us all - whether advertisers and publishers. Specially when it's about users' privacy and safe internet experience, there's hardly anything more serious than this.

In the scenario you are talking about, I would advise you to check the third party ad source that you are using on your website. As a publisher, even you should be concerned with users' experience on you website. Make sure you are publishing ads only from trusted and legitimate sources.

To me, there can't be a definitive guide to avoide this. It's more about being cautious and choosing a third party ad network with proper research about their credibility. 

My two cents.

Further readings -

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Account-Issues/Safer-Internet-Week-Post-Google-amp...

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en

Thanks

Ratan

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.