AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

MMORPG products disallowed?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
For those who don't know what a MMORPG is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMORPG

So Google Adwords suspended my website after one year of successful ad campaign. The motive, I was told, is that I am selling "e-gold", which I am not.

I am from Brazil and the language is Portuguese, I believe the Brazilian team is ill-equipped and has a poor understanding of what e-gold is: a transferable virtual currency used to purchase real goods and services.

Virtual products of an online game, be they the game's currency, a character or equipments, are restricted to the game and is allowed by Google. It's a huge market and people buy this stuff to facilitate their lives inside the game.

Indeed, Google itself makes the distinction between e-gold and virtual in-game products here:

Under Google Adwords policies, ad related to any kind of e-gold is globally disallowed. Now, in the same page, check the country-specific policy of Korea. The sale of "game currency and in-game virtual items" is prohibited in Korea, but is not a Google policy for all countries. In Brazil, we have no such restrictions.

I telephoned the Google Adwords Brazilian team and explained that what I sell is not e-gold, and the attendant said he understood it, probably understanding what a MMORPG is, and that a revision was under way. I was emailed 7 days later with the response that virtual in-game products are not allowed as well!

Which is patently false, given that no such policy is found for Brazil, and given the fact that there is a massive amount of Adwords related to virtual in-game products.

What should I do? Is their verdict final? What if this is a miscarriage of policy, an ill-equipped team harming Google and its paying users?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: MMORPG products disallowed?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi;
Please share your website URL
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi again; The site clearly discusses e-gold...That is prohibited by the Policy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, if even yourself who's a distinguished member can't tell e-gold from virtual in-game products, I don't think I have a chance. Have you read my original post?

That the game creators chose to call its currency "gold" is the problem here... if it were called anything else, e.g. "zen" or other name, there would not be a confusion.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

hello again;

Well...I did read your post twice to make sure I fully understood the issue in question, and the sequence of events.  (Though I would recommend for this type of cases to use bullet style. It helps the reader better understand the case, and  the timeline...- But that's entirely  up to you... Smiley Indifferent)

And this is the exact reason I asked you to post the URL; So I can  check how  a Google bot (i.e. a machine) OR a human reviewer,  would interpret the content. Let's take a few examples:

• "Gold is the game's currency, therefore nobody can afford to live without some. Buying it may help you immensely if spent correctly....." 
  • "Have you left your money behind after changing worlds? TibiaStorage can help you by trading the gold from your former server for that of the current one..."
  • Are you tired of hunting for days to obtain the precious gold needed for that uber hunt at the weekend, or to buy the item you have been longing for? 
    If the answer is yes, then your problems are over! TibiaStorage offers the cheapest gold in the market so that you, the player, can have an eased gaming experience 

.....There are more examples...

1. Now tell me:  How this text (and there are more examples), can be interpreted by a bot or by a human reviewer other than an e-gold  website? Smiley Surprised
  2. E-gold is prohibited globally. Whether  Google allows in Brazil the promotion of  other virtual currencies - remains  for a further check.  I have NO confirmation for your statement that in Brazil "Virtual products of an online game, be they the game's currency,.... is allowed by Google." 

I hope this clarifies the topic.

-Moshe