AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Low Volume Adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Why won't Google let low volume adwords run ads?  Because we are the ones actually paying??

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ita (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Low Volume Adwords

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Hine, 

Just copied & pasted the answer from the help center:

"For example, the keyword might be considered too specific or obscure, or it was misspelled significantly. Keeping these keywords out of the ad auction helps AdWords serve ads more efficiently and reduces the volume of keywords on our system." (source)

Cheers,

Asaf

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ita (Google Employee)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Hine, 

Just copied & pasted the answer from the help center:

"For example, the keyword might be considered too specific or obscure, or it was misspelled significantly. Keeping these keywords out of the ad auction helps AdWords serve ads more efficiently and reduces the volume of keywords on our system." (source)

Cheers,

Asaf

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Good question. I'd be interested to have a more definitive answer for this as well.

In my opinion, it's to prevent advertisers from targetting millions of long tail keywords with low search volumes, and the ads being so irrelevant that they detract from the search experience rather than adding value. It just seems that there's a lot of potential for manipulation by allowing it, and other unwanted consequences as well. 

For example if the intent of my campaign is brand awareness, I could target huge amounts of low volume keywords in my industry that never get clicked, but vastly increase the frequency my company name is seen. You only pay when your ad is clicked so that would be a large amount of free advertising that doesn't add value to the search results, and probably damage the "Google experience" in the process.

It might be comparable to putting company advertising in public restrooms: yes you might be willing to pay for it and a lot of people might see it, but in the end it just might not be a very good idea.

I would like a more specific answer for not allowing high conversion low volume exact match keywords though. For niche industries/products low search volume restrictions are irritating.

Ita Google Employee
Google Employee
# 4
Ita Google Employee
Google Employee

Hi Hine, 

Asafpaz's link gives a good explanation of this.

That same article also makes this good point: "Keywords marked as "Low search volume" are associated with very little search traffic on Google, an indication that they're not very relevant to most customers' searches." These keywords are not popular with the end user. The low search volume warning is good therefore for warning Advertisers to focus on other keywords that are more popualr with the end user and can get the Advertiser more traffic and more clicks. 

Fianlly, I'd say there's no negative impact of having a few low search volume keywords in your account. If volumes rise (if roughly more than 100 users search on that keyword in a given month) we will start to show ads for it because it is now a popular keyword. 

I hope this helps. 

Ita

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"For niche industries/products low search volume restrictions are irritating." ABSOLUTELY!
For some businesses there are phrases that almost 100% of the time indicate that someone needs their help. One example: [convert 3480] (3480 is an older mainframe tape cartridge). If someone enters that text, we sure as heck want someone to find us. Why won't Google allow us to keep that key phrase active?

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager
This three year old thread has been closed to new replies.

If anyone has a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question.

Thank you.