AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Long term PLA policy violations continually ignored - PLEASE HELP

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

For many months, I and many others (to my knowledge) have been complaining about the ad linked below which flagrantly ignores Google's Adwords policy.  This displays a picture with a price of £33 when, in fact, this price is only available if 32 units are purchased. The price for the single item shown is actually £42.

Bulk Pricing link

This same advertiser has been allowed to place this ad for so long they have, in the last 3 weeks, created another ad but with a dual violation.  Again, the pricing advertised is for a bulk quantity but this time it is also placed under a different domain, belonging to the same company, with the difference between the 2 domains just being a hyphen.

Bulk pricing and additional domain for same company

It is extremely frustrating and damaging that Google allows its own policies to be successfully abused in this way, leading to unfair competition and the incentive for others to follow their example. Of course, I understand that it may take some time for these issues to be resolved but more than 3 months has already passed regarding the first ad detailed above, and it is the second occurrence. Today, I was told by Google that it could be many more months before the issue is looked at. If Google does not have the resources to investigate complaints within a reasonable time, then perhaps it should take some of the considerable profits made from legitimate advertisers and invest in protecting Google's reputation for fairness.

If anyone has any ideas how I can get Google to actually pay attention to this issue, I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Simon

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Long term PLA policy violations continually ignored - PLEASE HELP

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

be certain to use the official form to submit a potential policy
violation and include the link-url of the ad -- not the website.

generally, for the best likely outcome in the shortest time frame,
submit a separate form for each potential violation and do not
mention or mix other potential violations within the same form --
focus on one specific issue and explain the issue succinctly.

duplicate-listings and bulk-pricing are two separate policies.

yes, there is no set time frame for how long an investigation
might take and google typically reports status, updates, or
outcomes, only with the person who is under investigation.

see also
https://support.google.com/merchants/contact/policy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I, and many others, have been filling in the correct complaint forms in the correct way, as confirmed by the Google people I've spoken to on the phone. I've also spoken with Google PLA people who have personally copied the screenshots etc. over to their  policies team. The problem is that nothing actually happens - for several months now! The offending ads are still showing today and the Google PLA people say they could be up for several more months. In fact, there seems to be no service requirement to deal with complaints within any period of time. Advertisers who follow Googles rules are therefore potentially at a great disadvantage compared with less scrupulous competitors. Rules are useless unless enforced in a reasonably timely manner.

Best regards,

Simon

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

first, you're welcome.

if the proper forms are being submitted then, the issue
might be with how the information is being presented
or what information is being submitted.

often, too much information, information about multiple
violations rather than one specific area of a single policy,
or missing the proper information to make the decision,
can delay or sidetrack the investigation.

since duplicate-listings and bulk-pricing are two separate policies,
for best results, two separate policy forms should likely have been
submitted, with two separate sets of information.

otherwise, typically, the issue is simply taking awhile given
the volume of complaints -- many months is not unusual --
or there was no violation found based on the information
that was submitted to the policy-team or by the letter of
the policy being flagged.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Again, thanks for your response. I'm sure that I and others have filled in the policy forms correctly many times and that the complaints were lodged separately for each ad. Google's requirements are being met but no action is taken. As I work my way round the forums, I see my experience is far from unique. The problem seems to be that Google has not allocated sufficient resources to investigate and act on complaints within a reasonable period, therefore giving advertisers a considerable commercial incentive not to follow the guidelines. As advertisers become aware that they can gain many thousands in extra revenue before Google will act, then the number of ads that ignore the rules will grow. Inevitably, the backlog of complaints to Google will therefore rise putting the responsible Google department under further strain. Eventually, if the situation is not brought under control, users will start to regard Google PLAs as unreliable and they will, as a consequence, become less attractive to advertisers. Of course, I'm stating the obvious here.

I can't think of any reasonable justification why Google is failing its customers in this way. It makes no commercial sense to me. The reputation of Google's advertising seems fundamental to the valuation of the corporation and yet it is consciously allowing that reputation to be undermined.

Best regards

Simon

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

first, you're welcome again.

unfortunately, forum members do not have access to
any status of individual policy violation investigations
nor to the overall ratio of sent to resolved issues.

your concerns and frustrations have been well
articulated -- and google does read the forums.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Let's hope Google do read this, and other forums. If Google won't self-regulate its business, then I'm sure government will have even more reason to impose regulations and sanctions upon Google. The "additional domain" ad is not showing this morning so maybe - just maybe - something has been done on 1 out of the 2 problematic ads.

I'm going to have one more try at getting Google to act. If this fails, I'm going to see if local regulations can be used to prevent the misleading ad from being placed on Google's system.

Best regards
Simon
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Simon P
October 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

At last, months later, this issue has been resolved. Both of the offending ads have been taken down. I'll be watching out for them reappearing. 

This issue is thankfully resolved... for now.

Simon