AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Long Destination URL in Adwords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

We got new partner who has bulk of clients with one page URL's to promote through adwords.

These one page url's are individual business....The problem is the individual site has very long URL prefix to the main domain.

For example: http://internationaltravelagencyinnewjersey.mainsite.com

Please help me how to use it in Display URL section while creating Ad copy.

I learnt that google will use shorter version of the URL. I could not understand.

Thanks in Advance

-Syed Nuri

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Syed Nouman
September 2015

Re: Long Destination URL in Adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
In the display url section the only thing that absolutely HAS to be there in your example is

mainsite.com

I would be tempted to run your display something like this:

Mainsite.com/NewJerseyTraveller

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Syed, as Steve has said, your Display URL does not have to be exactly the same as the Destination URL, only the Domain part has to be the same so Steve's solution is what I'd suggest as well.

The only slight downside to this approach is that Google will display your Ad URL as:

www.mainsite.com/NewJerseyTravel

Google adds "www" to any Display URL that doesn't explicitly provide a subdomain.  It's not a huge problem since a click will always go to your Destination URL, but it's something to consider.

The other option, of course, is to create another subdomain with a shorter URL that points to the same set of pages.  Most hosting companies allow virtually unlimited subdomains and setting one up usually takes only a couple of minutes.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
In the display url section the only thing that absolutely HAS to be there in your example is

mainsite.com

I would be tempted to run your display something like this:

Mainsite.com/NewJerseyTraveller
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Syed, as Steve has said, your Display URL does not have to be exactly the same as the Destination URL, only the Domain part has to be the same so Steve's solution is what I'd suggest as well.

The only slight downside to this approach is that Google will display your Ad URL as:

www.mainsite.com/NewJerseyTravel

Google adds "www" to any Display URL that doesn't explicitly provide a subdomain.  It's not a huge problem since a click will always go to your Destination URL, but it's something to consider.

The other option, of course, is to create another subdomain with a shorter URL that points to the same set of pages.  Most hosting companies allow virtually unlimited subdomains and setting one up usually takes only a couple of minutes.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits