AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Linking to banned products

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Adwords community,

My question is i think less ominious as the title might suggest.

Case: 

I have products which are banned. Our site was suspended. We removed the products from the site so we can advertise again. Now customers call us and ask "where has product X gone?! I saw it on your site the other day and now it's gone.".

Are we allowed to link to a secondary domain where people can browse through these products without it having a blowback on our advertising website/account? Maybe with a warning regarding safe browsing, age restrictions or the sort. Clarification: one is allowed to sell these products, we abide to national laws. But Adwords policies are more strict. 

For reference. Paintball guns are banned from Google Adwords but we are allowed to sell them.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Linking to banned products

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi

Interesting question, I have a feeling even though you made a hyperlink for separate domain it may cause problem if you using that destination URL to land the adword traffic.

Lets see how others going to respond here

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'd always keep the non dissaproved domain inbetween. Let's say for the sake of example people can buy paintball paint pellets on my non banned product domain. If people would want to organicaly negative to a secondary domain with paintball guns on them, optionaly with a warning message they are leaving the safe products area or anything, i'd like that to be possible.

I'd never advertise for selling paintball guns. But if you're browsing for the paint pallets and want to check out if any new paintball gun models are available i'd like to enable that. (on a secondairy domain with a link to it).

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Jelle,

As you are trying to bypass the Adwords review process of destination site by using techniques to hide it. I think this comes under the prohibited practices. As said by Nisal, it will be problematic to you.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Valid point John Paul.

I was hoping there'd be a less annoying way to get the people to the place they want to be than having them call customer service. Our business has been around a long time, we have a lot of forum referals talking about specific products which we arent allowed to offer anymore.

How would you suggest to deal with this? I've looked at our competitors. But we're kind of inbetween a huge shop and a tiny shop. The larger shops with bad seo visibility seem to be cleaning out their inventory and might be tapping out. Or we expect them to play the numbers game, keep their inventory low so in percentages their product group is tiny and they won't get site suspension issues.

If we just put 10 banned products in the shop at a time: 0,25% of all products. We can expect not to be suspended from advertising? This doesn't seem above board either as a best practice. But effectively that's what competitors are trying to do.

What happens is that the large shops put red herrings in their product categories (which are allowed) which they advertise for using semi related terms. The people who click those adverts can organicaly navigate to products they can't advertise for. But since they're huge warehouses in % their categories are tiny. In the order of 0,1% of their total product offerings. Because they don't advertise for these banned products, nor is their category big enough to tick off a site suspension, they get away with effectively selling banned products. A game we aren't quite big enough to play ourselves at their scale.