AdWords
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Linking Advert to Facebook - Getting "Destination URL not working" error.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, I have a set of 5 adverts in a campaign that directly link to my facebook page:

For instance, the URL used is:

https://www.facebook.com/houseofvoguelifestyle/

Somehow, this is not being allowed. Note that the problem is not related to me infringing facebook trademarks. I used my logo, my text, and nothing else is infringed - but I still get this error when the advert links to my facebook page. 

The disapproval reason showed is: "Destination not working. To make sure that our ads are relevant, useful and easy to interact with .... continued"

Any assistance would be welcome.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Eshpelin M,

Generally speaking, promoting a FB page by means of AdWords is allowed, though it's not very much advisable. You may read about the associated issues in this comprehensive article authored by @Ahmed Ali:

***   Can I Promote My Facebook Page Via AdWords?   ***

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Can-I-Promote-My-Facebook-Page-Via-AdWords/bc-p/5...

It is not quite clear why you are emphasizing that you are not infringing FB trademarks and simultaneously giving us a link (as an example) to an FB page that is obviously copyrighted. (Vogue by Prince) Another problem is that the example FB page is working fine while you say the disapproval reason specified by Google refers to the LP not working.

Some clarification would be highly appreciated.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello @Lakatos, 

This is actually why I am confused.

1. I read that article before and am certain that I am maintaining all standards required - including the drawbacks of advertising a facebook page.

2. One of the major points mentioned in that article and elsewhere is that the name "facebook" is copyrighted, and we cannot use that name under any circumstances in our adverts - but that using the link is allowed - which is why I mentioned that no infringements are being made in the adverts.

3. The link mentioned in my query is the original one that is used in the adverts - this is owned by the company I represent - and isn't actually copyrighted material.

4. The last point is the most confusing from the whole set - even though the link works just fine - and given how facebook is never down under usual circumstances - I cannot understand why we would get such an error. Which brings the question - what actually causes google to think that the URL is not working even though it works just fine?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Linking Advert to Facebook - Getting "Destination URL not working" error.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Eshpelin M,

Prince was a singer and Vogue sounds like a fashion magazine that's why I thought it may be copyrighted; except if you are associated with them. But let's put it aside for now. Kindly do have a look at the below snips, please.

Capture06feb.JPG

Capture06afeb.JPG

Disregard the silly wording please. Unable to find a clue for you in related documents, I've chosen to make an experiment. Well, it seems the ad has been approved by the algorithm. Based on this test result, I'd suggest you to make a few additional tries. I would not be surprised to find that either your ad gets approved or the issue is something else we have not thought of. (e.g. wording of text)

Could you perhaps create the very same ad as shown above in a new ad group  and see whether or not it gets disapproved at your end?

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much @Lakatos

The problem happens after I submit that advert for review (everything works similarly till the part you have shown). It ends up getting cancelled after a day - after review is done. I have set up another advert in a different batch - and have also asked for a review on the webpage via a form. Lets see if it works.

On the other hand, if you did actually allow that test advert to go till review - please do let me know if it is approved at the end.

-- EDIT --

Just as an update, I see a news that Destination URL's have been depreciated. Do you think this could be an issue in any way?

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6049217

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Currently the ad status is 'approved" as shown above. Will let it run with a minimal budget for a day or 2 so I can see what happens going forward. Update you tomorrow. 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

>> Just as an update, I see a news that Destination URL's have been depreciated. Do you think this could be an issue in any way? <<

Negative, I don't. You cannot complete a destination url field for a a good while now, but the final url. That's what I did earlier today. Of course I don't know when you completed those fields and how. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
February 2017

Linking Advert to Facebook - Getting &quot;Destination URL not working&quot; error.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello @Lakatos

Please note that I have recieved an email from google that they have now approved the link, and the adverts have started running. I think you don't need to run the test now Smiley Very Happy

Bhavesh.PNG

Linking Advert to Facebook - Getting &quot;Destination URL not working&quot; error.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Ah... it was the website. Appreciate your updating. Great news ... Smiley Happy