AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Legitimate equine supplement now on the banned list?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My clients product - Superflex - a legitimate equine supplement is now triggering the Unapproved Pharmaceuticals and Supplements. If you look at the website its a legitimate product stocked in Equine Suppliers around the UK and Europe and has no alternative human use, but is a well known and trusted product.

I think this product has been flagged in error - can someone check the exact situation and can someone suggest the team I need to explain / appeal to?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Legitimate equine supplement now on the banned list?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Emma;
I think that the issue here is not with the supplements (as veterinary food supplements)  but with the claims of  curing proclaimed for the products advertised.

For example:
"Supplement for the nutritional support of the blood, liver and kidneys"
"For competing horses and all those with a history of gastric stress"
"Clear, premium hoof hardener developed to protect brittle hooves, strengthen soft soles and disinfect frogs prone to fungal and bacterial attack."

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The client works hard to stay within the advertising standard authority guidelines - I appreciate the input but your examples don't suggest cures but support - would have thought but please correct me if I am wrong. Also - its only the Superflex product which has an issue at the moment - are you suggesting copy elsewhere on the site might affect this.

Finally - is there any way to amend and appeal?

Emma

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The requirement is to comply with the healthcare and medicine section;
Once you fix the site, you could appeal using this link;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704383?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

For what its worth Emma, if you're open to feedback (although you may be a bit resistant to this based upon your response to Moshe),

Glucosamine sulphate - "This product is, or has been, impermissibly marketed for the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of diseases such as osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. These are considered problematic disease claims."

MSM - "This product is, or has been, impermissibly marketed for the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of diseases such as arthritis and fibromyalgia. These are considered problematic disease claims."

Chondroitin - "This product is, or has been, impermissibly marketed for the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of diseases such as arthritis. These are considered problematic disease claims."

FDA Public Warning About MSM, Chondroitin, and Glucosamine:

"FDA is aware that Internet distributors may not know that the products they offer are regulated as
drugs or that these drugs are not in compliance with the law. Many of these products may be legally
marketed as dietary supplements if claims about diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of
disease are removed from the promotional materials and the products otherwise comply with all
applicable provisions of the Act and FDA regulations.

Under the Act, as amended by the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act, dietary supplements
may be legally marketed with truthful and non-misleading claims to affect the structure or function of
the body (structure/function claims), if certain requirements are met. However, claims that dietary
supplements are intended to prevent, diagnose, mitigate, treat, or cure disease (disease claims),
excepting health claims authorized for use by FDA, cause the products to be drugs. The intended use
of a product may be established through product labels and labeling, catalogs, brochures, audio and
videotapes, Internet sites, or other circumstances surrounding the distribution of the product. FDA has
published a final rule intended to clarify the distinction between structure/function claims and disease
claims." 

FDA examples of non-compliant claims:

Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM Complex

“Promotes … pain-free joints”

“Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulfates work synergistically to promote … pain-free joints.”

“MSM has proven to be an effective pain reliever for osteoarthritis and other forms of
inflammation. The herbal base of this formula, a rich source of organic minerals, is designed to
assist with muscle and joint stiffness.”

“Glucosamine and Chondroitin can be extremely effective in preventing osteoarthritis and can
provide relief to existing conditions.”

For what its worth Emma.  Good Luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Apologies if you felt I was defensive but I knew we were compliant in the framework in the UK. In fact, it has turned out to be a case of mistaken identity - another product was using the trademarked name,

I'm not in the USA and the product is not for human consumption so the FDA take on this is not relevant - this may have confused the issue with my comments Smiley Happy

Thank you though for the input, and I have now resolved the issue with Google.

Regards,

Emma