AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Landing Page Experience - Adsbot Mystery

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So we've recently switched domains (rebrand) from altus.io to opteo.com and since the switch our whole account is pegged at below average for the landing page QS component. I've never seen something quite like this before.

[​IMG]
What's weird is that I have a complete flatline with no movement -- every single keyword in this account scores below average for landing page experience. Even my exact match brand KW [opteo] scores a 7/10 with a below average landing page experience. It's been over 30 days.

Another big clue is that I can't get a single ad approved. I always get a "destination not working" disaproval (LP works just fine.) We track downtime and we very rarely go down. If I resubmit for approval, disapproved again. Eventually I chat with a rep who says the LP is clearly functional, and resubmits it for review. Again, disapproved. Another chat leads to basically a forced approval.

What am I missing here? Is adsbot unable to crawl my site? Fetch as Google in webmaster tools works fine. We checked our server logs, adsbot seems to be at least reaching our site just fine.

About the other factors that influence LP QS:

By now I feel quite familiar with components to landing page experience having stared at and meditated on this article: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197.

Here's everything I feel is not a problem:

Page speed and mobile-friendliness not a problem.

[​IMG]
Geopeeker (the tool they apparently use for manual LP checks at Google) shows the site works fine in multiple locations:

[​IMG]

Here's an example of one of our LPs: https://opteo.com/lp/adwords-management-software

Landing pages are per adgroup (which are tightly themed) and have a custom URL, page title, meta description, H1, and a couple of other modifications in the main content (in case keyword density is a thing.)

• LP not too thin on crawlable content
  • Simple top nav
  • phone number / email for transparency/trustworthiness
  • No robots.txt file
  • Lots of above-the-fold content
  • CTA above the fold removed

I've been on many calls with Google (3 reps), they basically have no idea what's wrong. No blacklists against the domain or anything of that sort.

Any ideas? What would you test in this position? Would be hugely grateful for any ideas.

Happy new year!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Guillaume D;

Your landing page is fine. I would  edit and remove some some of the content (e.g. Testimonials) to "inner pages", and use  a bigger font size. But, the landing page  is not the issue.

The Google bot checking the page is not perfect. My assumption:  as traffic to the page increases the "score" will be higher.

Meanwhile: I would focus on CTR, and put aside  the  "score" given by a machine....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @MosheTLV thanks for your comments.

I disagree, I do think there's something wrong.

It's been 34 days and this account has accumulated 858 clicks on 23,751 impressions on Search. I've had exclusively "below average" landing page QS and I can't get a single new ad approved. Like I mentioned, they all get disapproved for "destination not working". I haven't seen a completely flat LP score like this before. I don't feel like waiting longer would help.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Guillaume D

As for LP experience - my position still holds. I would wait. There is a transition period until a campaign attains / gains  again past performed.

As for "site not working" - this is a Policy issue (vs. "Below average" - which is  a performance issue). The site has to be accessible from ALL locations and devices. Check with your webmaster that the site is not blocked in certain countries or devices.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’