AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Keyword Placement URL (Invalid Destination)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys/Gals

I have a question about how to get kw placement url's approved if were have our companies page ip restricted to just customers in a specific region. Our page also serves on Search and we recieve traffic from search engines as well. We have our site restrcited viewing for only our targeted area. This leads when we place our links in the keyword url placement, to our kw's being rejected because I am assuming there review bots/team get redirected if they are not looking from a allowed IP. Now some do get approved and I realize in my web logs that they alternate from many different ips when they are reviewing the ads and keywords so they sometimes will get the page loaded. When they are outside the ip, it just goes to a page stating that we are sorry but you are outside the viewing area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Keyword Placement URL (Invalid Destination)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
You may want to have a page that loads, and gives visitors a recommendation on where to go/what to do if you don't want them to read your content.

This way Google's adsbot doesn't geta 404 error, and you will get a manual approval if you get reviewed manually.

Although, I'm not sure why you would want to do this...

Hope this helps.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Adam,

I would recommend showing your real page to all users, perhaps with additional messaging saying that the product or service is available only in certain areas.

> We have our site restrcited viewing for only our targeted area

That does not work well with AdWords.  That is mostly by design.  There is no guarantee that users are in the area you think they are.  If a user in your area clicks on your ad but gets an error page because your server thinks they are somewhere else, that is a bad user experience.  (Maybe they're using a mobile carrier and the IP address appears to be in their home region.)

> This leads when we place our links in the keyword url placement, to our kw's being rejected because

> I am assuming there review bots/team get redirected if they are not looking from a allowed IP.

Exactly.

David suggested:

> You may want to have a page that loads, and gives visitors a recommendation

> on where to go/what to do if you don't want them to read your content.

This might work, but it is a bit dangerous.  If our bots notice that you serve up drastically different content to users from different IP addresses it will make our systems suspicious of "cloaking", a technique where bad advertisers serve up innocuous content to us and prohibited content to real users.  A human reviewer would probably figure out what was really going on in your case, but it could be risky.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Laura

"I would recommend showing your real page to all users, perhaps with additional messaging saying that the product or service is available only in certain areas."

We had this before as a pop-up and also had it labeled on the site. But this lead to customers that were outside are targetted area still inquiring about our service. This lead to many backend rejections since we could not service these areas. Again this is from SEO but we use the same page for SEO and Adwords.

As for the pop-up, per adwords policy, this isn't allowed. So I am unsure how to restrict users outside or service area without all the backend trouble on our seo side.

Thanks for the help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your help as well David