AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Keep Getting "Invalid HTTP Response Code" but Site is Fine

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

We are trying to set up a remarketing campaign/ad for this landing page but our ad keeps being disapproved because of an "invalid HTTP response code."

We have tried almost every page of this website as a landing page and they all get rejected. We have called Google Adwords about 10 times and all of the people we have spoken to cannot give us a definitive answer as to why the landing page is being rejected. One member of Adwords support said that she performed diagnostics on the site and everything looked OK. She agreed to manually approve our ad but said that it wouldn't do much good because it would be rejected once again once the crawler revisited the site. 

The only thing I could think of is that the site used to allow www and non www URLs. I changed the settings a few months ago to only allow www. There were old Adwords ads that were created long ago that used a non www URL that still work today, but I think they might have been "Grandfathered" in because I cannot get any new ads to work. 

1. I tried creating a new ad, but that did not work.
  2. I tried removing the www from the URL and putting the settings back to how they were, but that did not work.
  3. I fixed all errors, removed all JS from the landing page and got the pageload time as fast as possible, but it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know what might cause this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah B
September 2015

Re: Keep Getting "Invalid HTTP Response Code" but Site is Fi

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Sarah

Are you using any special tracking templates in your account?

If so, one quick thought is that if you have a tracking template in place and it's not interacting properly with your final URLs, the resulting page could result in a 404 and thus kicking back the "invalid http response code".

I've come across many crazy scenarios that have resulted in these disapprovals, there is no one possibility that is the cause.

Actually - for kicks, I decided to check your homepage and multiple browsers are kicking back an issue with redirects.

The issue is probably not what I suggested earlier but more likely programmatic at this point.

Good Luck!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sarah,

The problem seems to be on Google crawler side and not on your website or host service.

One thing that you can do is to make sure to Google Robots are not blocked on your robots.txt file. Sometimes when one blocks google robots in robots.txt, it usually also block ad crawlers, getting no responde.

Other than that I guess just with some official support.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Let me ping one of our colleagues who specializes  in server codes.

@petebardo ?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sarah B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Sarah

Are you using any special tracking templates in your account?

If so, one quick thought is that if you have a tracking template in place and it's not interacting properly with your final URLs, the resulting page could result in a 404 and thus kicking back the "invalid http response code".

I've come across many crazy scenarios that have resulted in these disapprovals, there is no one possibility that is the cause.

Actually - for kicks, I decided to check your homepage and multiple browsers are kicking back an issue with redirects.

The issue is probably not what I suggested earlier but more likely programmatic at this point.

Good Luck!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Sarah,

As indicated above your website does have 'redirect loop' issue. 

failed to load.png

Going by my experience with such issues, it is caused by misconfiguration in http to https or non-www to www redirects. You should check with your web config file. If it's Linux hosting, you should check your .htaccess for the redirect code and get it fixed. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much for your help! Your post reminded me that I had seen something about a tracking template and was wondering what it was for. We did have one set up so I went ahead and deleted and then resubmitted the ad for review. It was finally approved! Thanks so much!! So glad to have made progress on this!