AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Its it legal to advertise to a third party website?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

A large newspaper is running an offer with us and offering a sale on an item we sell.

Is it legal for me to run a display network campaign and the destination URL will be that newspaper page about my company?

And if I am allowed, say the name of the newspaper is Daily Mail, may I use their image or name in the ad banner copy ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Its it legal to advertise to a third party website?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If the newspaper has authorized you to do so - There is no restriction that I know of;
However; if the paper's name is a trade-name you'll have to submit google an authorization form to use their name or image in the banner.
https://services.google.com/inquiry/aw_tmauth
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
So you are saying that I need authorisation from the newspaper regardless?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Assuming this is a trade-name - yes
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
And just to clarify, I need authorisation from them even if I don't use their logo and image?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Zevi;

You do use, though,  their  registered trade-name in the ad-text / banner - don't you? 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
If you use anything of theirs which is trademarked Google will disapprove the ads, you will then have to show Google that you have permission but getting the authorisation @MosheTLV mentions. It might be logical to assume that you could advertise and that Google would wait for a complaint from the trademark holder - but if you think about this, that wouldn't work, because the trademark holder might not realise for a long time and then the problem (for Google as well as the advertiser) could be massive. So they preempt the situation. Otherwise everyone would be using trademarked terms on ads until the trademark holder complained and then they would set up a new account and wait again.....

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@stickleback; Yep, We have seen advertisers who  think that they could use the trade-name until... And  then, "poof",  suddenly, the ads are disproved.  Smiley Surprised

However, in this case, my impression is  that the user  ( @Zevi S ) wants to make sure that he follows the rules and fully complies with the Policy. Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Preempting the disapproval is always going to be a better way to go!

Getting the authorisation shouldn't present a problem if this is a joint offer - and then a case of getting in touch with the local Google office to speed things up. Most likely the ads are going to need manual approval.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Moshe & Stickleback,

I definitely dont want to break the rules here guys.

It appears that if I leave out the name and image, and just advertise the product and send the users to the Newspaper website, that does not require permission from anyone.

What requires permission is to use the name and image.

I'm going to see what this will entail to see if it is worth it.

Thanks for your help!