AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Issue with a year or date identified as a "Trademark Infringement"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We have a client which has been in continuous operation since 1888.  When we decided to add this point of differentiation to our Adwords search ads (Ex: "Serving our community since 1888"), the ad was disapproved and then given the ""Approved - Limited" designation.   While this may not have affected delivery as the Trademark seems to be in another geography we were not running ads in, I did want to address this trademark infringement flag as it seemed to me that a trademark on a date (unrelated to whatever organization is claiming this date as a part of their trademark) seemed like an over-reach  to apply to any use of a 'year' in ad text.

I am happy to report that after going through the process of requesting a review of this by using the form at this url: https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/approvals?hl=en&cft=3

I have to give kudos to the Google Adwords support team on this. The response was measured in hours with a very polite, intelligent, and considerate response from Mohit on the Google Support team.  It was clear that he and the support team understood the problem with the legitimate use of a date (1888) versus a trademarked version of the same set of numbers, but they also used this review to identify other advertisers who were also experiencing the same ad disapproval issue and are working to proactively address similar issues for those advertisers.

If you experience an ad disapproval for the use of a year in your ad copy, I highly recommend taking the time to request a review from the Adwords support team at the above URL and have them review.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Issue with a year or date identified as a "Trademark Infringement"

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jerry Q,

It is great to hear that you were able to quickly fix your account by using the review process for a trademark term disapproval. We have seen success with the process, too. 

You are right, the form should be used for such issues: https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/approvals?hl=en&cft=3

All the Best,

James