AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Issue with URL having language tag

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I have got a website that has English as the primary language and French as the secondary language. I want to run an ad campaign that should lead the user to a particular page in French language.

When I am trying to create an ad using the French page as the landing page, I am getting an error. My URL has - "/?lang=fr" at the end, which I am assuming is the problem. If I remove this part of the URL, the landing page URL is accepted. Now, without the language tag at the end, the URL is redirected to the English page and then the user will have to manually select French language to view the page in French. This will defeat the purpose of having an ad specifically for my French audience.

I tried to use a shortened URL using bitly, but that is also not accepted as I am advised that the landing page URL should have the same domain name as the actual domain that the user will land to.

Any help and guidance in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Can you use another tag / label instead of the language tag. If the user is  directed to this landing page from a French language campaign a langue tag on the landing page on not required to segment the source of traffic.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your response.

The language tag - "/?lang=fr" is automatically created as a part of the URL by the plugin (WPML) I am using in WordPress for multiple languages. I can not change anything with that.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.