AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Is this considered affiliation?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

We own a web site on which we sell products related to haemorrhoids. This is the site:

www.hemostop.ro

A few months back we created a site - like a forum - for people to ask questions related to this disease and also to post their experiences with the product. This is the "satellite" website acting as a forum for the main site:

http://hemostop-pareri.ro/#!pagina=1

We created a new site completely instead of just adding the forum to the main site, because we wanted a product that is all about communication and much less about sales.

We have ads that point to the main site (www.hemostop.ro) and the purpose of those ads is to sell. We also have ads that point to the satellite site (hemostop-pareri.ro) and these ads do not say anything about selling, they simply advertise the community that we try to build.

In some situations we had people going from Google AdWords to hemostop-pareri.ro and then to hemostop.ro (by clicking on a link in the sidebar). Some of those people had bought some products. Are we in violation of the affiliation policy?

Clearly, there is no affiliate here as we directly own both sites BUT effectively, we have this situation:

1. people go to hemostop-pareri.ro
2. they click on a link in the sidebar then they arrive on hemostop.ro
3. they buy something on hemostop.ro which is NOT the same site where they landed first;

Can we be in trouble because of this? From what I know from the affiliation policy, when ppl arrive on a site, they must also buy from that site. In this case, they arrive on the site without any intention of buying anything (because we simply advertise a community/ forum and NOT a product) but later on they decide to buy something from another site that we own.

Someone with experience, please share your thoughts on the matter.

Best regards,
Razvan Mihaiu

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Razvan M
February 2016

Re: Is this considered affiliation?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Razvan M;

As long as the landing page (i.e. the page on which the user land when clicking) has an added value content (i.e. Content about the products) you can include links on this page which direct to other sections of the site or to another page. This scenario is NOT a violation, and  the landing page is not  considered as a doorway.

Having said that, remember that a user who left the landing page without converting might not return.... So I would not recommend including external links on a webpage which its goal is to drive  a user to convert.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Moshe. I was hoping you would say something along those lines.

About landing page, yes, I agree. We are not looking for conversions for this forum, we are more interested in the branding that it can provide for us. We are still testing the waters with this and we have our eyes open not assuming either success or failure.

Best regards,
Razvan Mihaiu

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Razvan M;

Translating the page into English (as much as "translate"  can do a good job)  I noticed that there are claims which imply a cure. This is not allowed unless you are a pharma company. (e.g "Contribuie la regenerarea țesuturilor dermale, Previne iritarea zonei anale sau/și infectarea acesteia, Contribuie la reducerea inflamațiilor de la nivelul intestinelor"...).

I would be careful with claims which directly imply / infer a cure.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hmm... I know what you mean, those phrases translate exactly as this:

1. Contribuie la regenerarea țesuturilor dermale = It contributes to the regeneration of dermal tissues
2. Previne iritarea zonei anale sau/și infectarea acesteia = It prevents the irritation of the [censored] area and/or its infection
3. Contribuie la reducerea inflamațiilor de la nivelul intestinelor = It contributes to the reduction of swelling at the intestine level

From what I understand, we are not allowed to say that a given product "heals" or "cures" but we are allowed to mention how a given product acts. Not sure how can we describe the product without explaining how it works.

Please see how carefully this phrase is constructed - "It contributes to the regeneration of dermal tissues". We have not said that it "regenerates dermal tissues", we said that "it contributes to the regeneration....", meaning it has an impact on that / it helps but it does not guarantee that effect.

Am I missing something here?

Best regards,
Razvan Mihaiu

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Razvan M;

My experience those claims are "assertive" / "pushy". Once the landing page goes under a review, this could be an issue.

I would also consider a disclaimer.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Moshe. We always appreciate your feedback. We will give those a second thought.

What disclaimer you have in mind? Can you copy & paste one here? Or show me one on a web page?

Best regards,
Razvan Mihaiu

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Razvan M;

A disclaimer should be tailored to the specific content of a the site / page.
I do not recommend a client to use a generic disclaimer.