AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Is there a policy against bidding against personal names?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

We are interested in placing adverts against some of our key customers' names, so that we can provide personalized adverts.

For example, placing an advert against the term 'John Smith' so that he sees the advert 'John Smith - we've been waiting for you...'.

Is this possible? Is there a policy against this? Does the landing page need to be relevant to the term 'John Smith'?

Many thanks,
Natalie

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

I do not fully understand the intent in your query....

Why would someone spend money placing  an ad to promote a generic name unless John Smith is a name of a local hardware store or the local cafe'?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

This doesn't make sense; the person would have to search their own name for the result to even show, and there are plenty of people with the same names so you wouldn't be able to target the right person. 

If you mean to target specific people, you can do so with a remarketing list, but you can't make the ads so personal with their names in them. - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Whether or not this is a great idea/strategy aside, it's worked in the past.  And no, there are no policies against bidding on someone's name.  Getting the ads to show up and hoping they will be searching their own name, that remains to be seen. And if they're already your customers, why do you need to target them at all, can't you just email them or pick up the phone? 

That said, it's worked in the (distant) past...for a different purpose.

http://mashable.com/2010/05/13/job-google-ad-words/#iGnHI4HeskqP

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Interesting idea... however, you would need to target the name as a keyword and then as @Dean E explains, because of the number of people who share a name - geo target them individually... which would most likely result in Google pausing the keyword due to "low search volume" - I cannot see how this might work, but I can see how it would be a good idea. I would suggest going back to the drawing board and looking for a way to be slightly more generic....