AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Is it your policy to offer a different website than the one a person is requesting?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Penny Lancaster
Director, WeBelieveWeVote.com
509-922-4825

I have been informed that when some people type 
"www.WeBelieveWeVote.com" into the search bar they are first taken to 
"ProgressiveVoterGuide.com"...which is the ideologically opposite of our 
site. I understand that they have a paid ad, but that should NOT deter 
people from accessing the site they want. Can you fix this problem?
3 Expert replyverified_user

Is it your policy to offer a different website than the one a person is requesting?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well... Rest assured: nobody who pays Google can have any influence / power / leverage on the organic results. These are two independent  mathematical algorithms. This was tested over and over during the years: though substantial  efforts were put - no  link was found, 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Google's predictive help is based on popularity. If you start a website called amazoo.com, Google will offer people amazon.com as they start typing it in their browser.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Penny L,

As Moshe & Rob have already stated, the paid ads are different from your organic listing in the SERPs (search engine result pages). I have run some tests on your domain by typing in various wordings and I am taken to your website... although some of the time I am taken to your same website but with the domain http://wbwv.wpengine.com/. This concludes me to believe you have added some form of redirect or forwarding that is kicking in... which if this is new, could be causing some issues for your traffic (even though it should not, and I don't think it is). Generally, I want my client's websites to use one address for all traffic... so I would research why yours is serving two different ones randomly.  

Further, some people have their web browsers set to search from the address bar (where your website address shows) and some do not. And some have search history enabled and some do not. If they have search & history enabled and start to type a address, many can show. If that person has visited your website and the "other" website, their web browser will predict different options and could, in theory, add in the other website (if they previously went to it).

Also worth mentioning... when I search Google for your website domain, there are no ads showing at all, not from the other website or anyone else. There are many, many pages of results and only your domain is listed. 

Please know that after looking at all of this info, there is nothing to fix. If something did happen, it was a user-based action that is not a problem with any systems. Sometimes people get into a hurry and start typing and then hit enter and land somewhere they did not want. I do believe that was the case here.   

Thanks for presenting information to the masses about voting and giving them your viewpoints to consider. 

All the Best,

James