AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Is it true that affiliate links are not allowed on Google AdWords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it true that affiliate links are not allowed on Google AdWords?

I wanted to learn a bit more about internet marketing before launching my own products. I thought, "What better way to learn than to get paid while I gain experience." So I turned to affiliate programs. I figured I could promote someone else's products and make a bit of money while learning how internet marketing works.

I started a campaign and received an e-mail this morning stating that my site was disallowed for being "misleading." I spoke to a representative from Google and she told me that I am not allowed to have any links on my website, if I advertise on AdWords.

So, is this true? I cannot have any links whatsoever?

Ultimately, my question is, is it true that affiliate links are not allowed on Google AdWords? If not, how can I promote affiliate links without violating any AdWords policies? (In the meantime, I'll delete this campaign, in hopes that that will save me from having my account suspended).

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is it true that affiliate links are not allowed on Google AdWords?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

AdWords is meant for sites that directly offer a product or service. Google does not allow:

Insufficient original content

• Content that is designed for the primary purpose of showing ads
    Examples: Driving traffic (whether through "arbitrage" or otherwise) to destinations with more ads than original content, little or no original content, or excessive advertising
  • Content that is replicated from another source without adding value in the form of original content or additional functionality
    Examples: Mirroring, framing or scraping content from another source
  • Landing pages that are solely designed to send users elsewhere
    Examples: Bridge, doorway, gateway or other intermediate pages

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020954?hl=en-AU&ref_topic=1626336

While Google doesn't explicitly ban affiliate links, for most sites that have them it is their primary source of income, and therefore not allowed by Google.  

Re: Is it true that affiliate links are not allowed on Google AdWords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@Laval M yes,  affiliate links are not allowed on Google AdWord. So I suggest you run the Adsense program at your site if you want to earn money from your site.

Best Regard,

Om Thakur