AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Is an ad for a "new year's sale" considered a violation of privacy policy?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,
I'm considering running a "New Year's sale" campaign via adwords. However, "New Year's" is religious-specific: on beginning of Jan for Christians, end of Jan in China, October for Jews, etc. So by trying to offer an equal thing for everyone (but on different campaigns and schedule), am I not violating the "Religious belief in personalized advertising" policy? I am actually not planning to use PII to target each user with the correct offer, but rather use geos for that purpose (e.g. Christian New Year in US, Jew New Year in Israel, etc), but still I wanted to learn more about the policy's impact on such a plan...

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Sagi M

Though I assume that you would not run an ad with a headline / "call to action" saying: "new year's sale" in October, I am not aware of any restriction prohibiting mentioning a holiday or special  events  within the ad-text.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the feedback - needless to say, the Israeli version in October would be phrased in a culture-specific way (e.g. "Rosh Hashana Sale", etc). My concerns are that:

1. If I don't use PII's and stick to geos, I comply with the policies but people may be offended for receiving an ad which references a holiday of another religion in their geo

2. If I do use PIIs, making the ad personal, I am less likely to offend someone, but I think that would violate the policy

Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sagi M
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Sagi M

Public events on a calendar, regardless of the location,  do not fall under Personal identifiable Information;

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/143465?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’