AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Is advertiser violating the double serving policy?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently discovered an advertiser who we believe is double serving and more.  We have contacted Adwords support and still see that advertiser serving up ads (and in fact have increased the number of URL's that they are using with adwords).  Can someone, perhaps a Top Contributer, tell me what can be done to stop this practice?  The company is Le Cordon Bleu, who's native URL is www.chefs.edu.  Their campus locations are all at: http://www.chefs.edu/Campus-Locations. They are not advertising the .edu domain that we can see, rather they have set up multiple .com domains do manipulate the adwords auction at:

www.chefs.com

www.chicago.chefs.com

www.losangeles.chefs.com
www.lecordonbleu-scottsdale.com
www.lecordonbleu-dallas.com
www.lecordonbleu-onlineusa.com
www.lecordonbleu-atlanta.com
www.lecordonbleu-boston.com
www.lecordonbleu-lasvegas.com
www.lecordonbleu-austin.com
www.lecordonbleu-hollywood.com
www.lecordonbleu-orlando.com
www.lecordonbleu-sacramento.com
www.lecordonbleucollege-losangeles.com
www.lecordonbleu-portland.com
www.lecordonbleu-minneapolis.com
www.lecordonbleu-chicago.com
www.lecordonbleu-miami.com
www.lecordonbleucollege-sanfrancisco.com
www.lecordonbleu-seattle.com

The offending keywords are: culinary arts schools, culinary arts school, chef school, Le Cordon Bleu and more.

Here are some screenshots:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw38f09BeRA6X3Q1U2k3ZHU1em8/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw38f09BeRA6eG1wcjBNNjNqZDA/edit?usp=sharing

Any help is appreciated.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is advertiser violating the double serving policy?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Gary,

If you think that there is a violation of the Double Serving Ad policy, I would suggest you to fill up the below mentioned form and let Adwords know about this. They would surely investigate on that:

https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/feedback

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
There is also a specific form for complaints about the competitors' violations, you can use.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for your replies!  We really appreciate it.

We reported the violation to Google, but the CSR at Google Adwords support has emailed us and said that the case has been closed on his end. Nonetheless we are still seeing the offending advertiser. It is Google policy not to divulge any information on their findings other than the case is open or closed. Does it take time for the offender to be stopped? Do they have some time to correct the issue? What have others done in this case? In the meantime, we have further examined the situation and found some more information (which we also provided to Google).

The product they are offering across the ads is a common product offering
The pricing offered across the products is similar
The product support is identical
The Branding is identical (albeit with an extension of ‘location')
Ownership: According to the owners of Le Cordon Bleu "Career Education Corporation" Annual report, the 18 schools (including online division) are all owned by CEC (page 3). The annual report can be found here: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=87390&p=irol-reportsAnnual The schools that CEC owns in North America are:

CULINARY ARTS
California Culinary Academy,
SanFrancisco,CA ..........................
Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts
(“LCB”) .................................. LCB-Atlanta, Tucker, GA
LCB-Austin, Austin, TX
LCB-Boston, Cambridge, MA
LCB-Chicago, Chicago, IL
LCB-Dallas, Dallas, TX
LCB-Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV
LCB-Los Angeles, Pasadena and Hollywood, CA(1) LCB-Miami, Miramar, FL
LCB-Minneapolis/St. Paul, Mendota Heights, MN
LCB Orlando, Orlando, FL
LCB-Portland, Portland, OR
LCB-Sacramento, Sacramento, CA LCB-Scottsdale (includes Online), Scottsdale, AZ LCB-Seattle, Seattle, WA
LCB-St. Louis, St. Peters, MO

Also, according to their annual report, CEC may use ‘Lead Aggregators’ to advertise for prospective students. In this case Le Cordon Bleu may be knowingly encouraging these lead aggregators to compete on similar terms (such as 'Culinary Arts Schools') and their brand name. (CEC Annual Report p.52). This is clearly a violation of the Double Serving rules with the objective of dominating the SERP with their name.

When a prospective student queries ‘Culinary Arts Schools’ and they are presented with a search engine results page we have observed situations in which 5 out of 11 adwords results are from the same school (one with expanded site links), this makes it increasingly difficult to position competitor schools for the searcher. Even though the prospect will only ‘click’ on one of the results, Le Cordon Bleu is getting the benefit of an inordinate amount of real estate on the SERP. Impressions count. The more impressions one makes on the prospect, the more likely they are going to click on your name.

From our perspective these violations seem obvious, but since Google investigations are private we can only rely on what we see on the SERP as guidance on the result of the findings. We're reaching out to the community for additional guidance in case someone may have advice or experience on this sort of problem.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gary S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Keep reporting. Sometimes a few reports needed. However; the process to report is to use this form.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you MosheTLV and pankaj1782. I would be very grateful if you see merit with my case and would also make a report. You can search as though you are in the USA anywhere and query "Culinary Arts Schools" or "Le Cordon Bleu" to see the offending result. Perhaps a report from a TC in the Adwords Community would also carry some weight.

As for making multiple reports, would you recommend opening another case or continuing to correspond with the Google CSR? I did not actually open the case by the form, I did it initially by calling into the Adwords call center. We have since been corresponding by email. Thanks,
Gary

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Can you upload a few screenshots showing the double serving?
They target different Geo locations....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi @MosheTLV , I was wondering if you had any luck on my behalf. I still see the offending ads. Does Google Support answer TC's directly? Thanks so much, Gary

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭