AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Is Google possibly using click farms?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,
Noticed quite a few website visits from urlopener.com. In urlopener's FAQs, it stated that the website was created for those that "...need to open large numbers of web addresses from a spreadsheet or a text file...". That lead me to think that click farms may be using urlopener, and that Google may have sent lists of websites to click farms. Is there anyway we can research or verify whether Google is using a click farm to generate clicks on our ads?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is Google possibly using click farms?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi;
Google - in no way - uses artificial techniques to generate clicks. Moreover, Google uses high tech algorithms to fight illegal /invalid clicks. (And also credit advertisers for invalid clicks.)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
I strongly believe what Moshe has stated above. Google even report invalid clicks for better transparency in business.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was only using AdWords at the time when I was getting website visits from urlopener. I can't think of any other reason why multiple people would use urlopener to view my website other than to generate clicks. From my Google Analytics report, it shows that they did not even stay for a second - just opened the page and closed it, several times throughout the week. Any idea how I can research this?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Lilian, my understanding of systems like urlopener is that they allow for batch visits to URLs, hence the term "url opener".  This is not the same as a click on an Ad and is entirely irrelevant to AdWords.

Simply opening a URL through a program will not create a click on an Ad, at most it will generate a visit to your site.  It is entirely logical that all these visits were for one page for a short period of time since such automated systems will not trigger the normal tracking processes that follow a real user from page to page.

It is possible that the visits from urlopener coincided with your AdWords campaign because your site had greater visibility at that time, but there is no other connection with AdWords.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Jon! If urlopener users were given the click links or web addresses of AdWords customers (starting with http://www.google.com/aclk?....), it would not generate a "click"?