AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Is AdWords ad blocked from top spots of SERPs until it is reviewed?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an AdWords ad ("Garnitury szyte na miarę" for davidelifestyle.pl) and a keyword ("garnitury na miarę") with a Quality Score of 10. Inferring from CPC from actual clicks (0,39 PLN), max CPC (2,23 PLN) is set way beyond that of the third advertiser from the SERP for this keyword (there are three ads in the top). Still the ad is shown on the 4th spot which located either on the right or at the bottom of the SERP. The only catch is that the ad's status is "under review". Is it the reason why it's blocked from the top spots?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Is AdWords ad blocked from top spots of SERPs until it is reviewed?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

If an ad is under review, during the review period it cannot take part in auctions / appear.

Please also note that,  when a  review is completed and ad is approved, its rank  can be changed depending on its "ad-rank" (when participating in an auction). 

Read More:

About The AdWords Auction

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's all good to know but the ad DOES appear and DOES take part in auctions (there are ads that are below it) although seems not to be allowed into the first three spots which appear above the organic search results.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again

>>>The only catch is that the ad's status is "under review".

How can an ad that has NOT been approved take part in an auction?

Read More:

Under review -- Ads marked as "Under review" can't run anywhere until they're reviewed and approved.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Your ads are not under review. Their status will be eligible but if you place the cursor on the speech bubble it says your ads is under review.

These ads will appear on the search results but the frequency and impressions will be less until it is approved by Google.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Does it affect their position as well?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
yes, it affects the ad position and first page bid estimate.

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

> How can an ad that has NOT been approved take part in an auction?

Moshe is wrong on this one (as rare as that is).

There are two "pre-approval" review statuses that can appear for an ad in the UI.

• Eligible: The has not yet been approved, but our systems are fairly sure that it will be OK.  These ads are allowed to serve. I don't know for sure whether they qualify for the top slots or whether we wait on that until after they're reviewed and switched to Approved, NonFamily, Adult or Disapproved.
  • Under Review:  Our systems saw something suspicious about the ad.  These ads will not serve until they've been reviewed by a human and set to one of the "post-review" statuses above.

There are a few more corner cases.  Notably, 'Eligible" only applies to ads that are targeting Search.  Display-only ads cannot serve before a final review, so even if our systems didn't see anything suspicious they will be set to "Under Review".

Laura

AdWords review engineer

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Laura;

I don't think I was; (Please Read my full answer )

The ad was under review.  So it was not shown until approved (for a given status: and that could be one of those you listed). However, as long as the ad was under review (as the user indicated), it was not shown....

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi Moshe,

Yeah, I just wanted to correct this:

> How can an ad that has NOT been approved take part in an auction?

which take out of context says that un-approved ads can't take part in the auction.  For people who come across this thread later, etc.

Laura