AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Invalid Destination URL Error - won't post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am working on restructuring my account and reusing some of the landing pages. However I'm getting the "invalid destination url" error that doesn't allow me post my new ads. However, the destination URLs in the new ads are identical to the old ones that have already been approved. Can anybody shed some light on this please?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Invalid Destination URL Error - won't post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Usually this is happen when i use double https signs or www signs. Best thing is re check ur URL and see whether it's 100 correct
if yes pls post a screenshot if the issue so we can help you further

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This just happened to me, following the cut and paste steps posted by Google, in the latest adwords editor.

If your following the instructions, and it's an error, it's a bug.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is the issue:

If you follow these steps- https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/32919?hl=en

and your ads were set up prior to the "final destination" being a requirement and your ads are set to destination URL, even though the ads are approved and running, when you copy them to the new campaign and try to post the changes, you'll get the error invalid destination URL.

My fist attempt was editing the ads logged via Chrome directly, setting each to use final URL instead of destination URL. Saved and then in Adwords editor, try the cut paste procedure again. Even after changes, they paste with the Destination URL set and Final URL null.

Copying the destination url to the final url field, and then deleting the destination url (in the adwords editor), and then posting changes live fixed the problem.

This is a bug in my book Smiley Wink

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
Destination URL is now blocked on the server. No new ads with destination URL can be created, and existing ones cannot be edited (except for status - you can pause or unpause them). If you want to create (whether from scratch or make a copy) or edit an ad now, you would have to clear destination URL and add final URL at the same time, otherwise the edit will fail to post.

Note that, after you make changes in the online interface, you need to sync those changes to Editor, via Get Recent Changes. It may take a couple of minutes after the change is made before Get Recent Changes notices it. Most likely, you either didn't sync, or synced too soon; either way, Editor still had the old ad with destination URL, and that's what you copy/pasted.

Re: Invalid Destination URL Error - won

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply.

Yes this exactly what I posted. The instructions (URL referenced in
previous post) should either be updated to be compliant, or the Adwords
editor should apply the correct changes during the procedure. Either way
this is a defect. Thanks.

John