AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Impractical Callout extension limitation

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want to add callout extensions to my existing campaigns, but I am concerned about following the policy, as described here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6084196 . Specifically, this is the one that seems highly impractical, almost impossible to follow:

Callout text duplication: We don't allow duplication or repetition of callout text with other callouts, ad text, or sitelink text within the same ad group, campaign, or at the account-level. Examples of text use that is considered duplication/repetition:

• Your ad text AND ad group, campaign, or account-level callouts include the text "Free shipping."

Well, I have hundreds of ads already. And I would like to add useful callouts, but they would sometimes collide with something that is already in some ad. Imagine how bad it is: If I take the example form the policy, it would be quite natural to have a long list of ads, of which a handful would contain "Free shipping" already. It would be useful to have "Free shipping" as a callout, but that would violate the policy. And this is about to happen with every callout text I think of: It is already contained in some of my ads. The only solutions seems to be 1) remove the colliding ads (not really doable, because in the end I would end up removing large number of them, plus they are there for a reason, so why remove them?), 2) re-make the colliding ads so that they don't collide (this is lot of work, PLUS again, they are there for a reason, and since callouts are not guaranteed to show, removing the offending text from the ads makes no sense), or 3) split the ad groups or campaigns in such a way that a non-colliding callouts can be created (not feasible: incredible amount of work, resulting in basically unmanageable AdWords account).

What I would like to have answered is A) whether I have understood everything correctly, B) do others face the same situation, and how do they deal with it, and C) what happens if the policy is violated? I would have totally no problem if the action taken is, as the policy says "Callouts won't run: Callouts that don't meet the above policies won't be able to show with your ads.." That makes perfect sense, it is actually that I would WANT to happen: It really makes no sense to see a callout that duplicates the ad text. But the policy also threatens with more serious consequences, up to account suspension, and obviously that's not what I want to encounter. Ideally, I would likely to get an assurance that this particular policy violation has the consequence of not running the colliding callout where it does not belong to - but nothing else.

Thanks for help

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zbyněk Z
November 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Zbyněk Z,

I think the best way to deal with it would be to rework the ads and put all the new changes & features into action with your campaigns. Use the call out extension to say Free Shipping instead of the ad text... and use the real estate to say something else. 

With this is mind, I would add the call out extension and then start the process of working through your ad groups from most active to the least... and change them up to use extended text ads, call out extensions and more. AdWords is all about adapting to change... and no campaigns should remain with old features just for the sake of it being too difficult to make edits as that suggests there is more work than one can take on. 

The only other option is to not use call outs for all of your campaigns but only for those that will work best for you (ads that do not have duplicates). 

To answer your last questions, I do not believe a suspension will take place over a call out extension. I think this is standard guideline talk about abusing the system. They simply want legitimate and sincere actions by all parties using AdWords. Accounts that abuse the system do get suspended. 

All the Best,

James

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

It is very common to have the same words in some ad extensions and some ad copy. I would think that most AdWords users are unaware of this policy.

I have never seen ads or extensions disapproved due this policy.

However, it is in your own best interest to abide by it the best you can. Repetition in your overall ad can look spammy, and lead to a lower CTR and therefore higher click costs. As with most AdWords policies, what is best for the advertiser is usually best for Google as well. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Zbyněk Z;

Policy aside: in terms of ad-copy, repetition is not recommended within an ad-copy;

Try synonyms:  e.g. "No charge for shipping" 

Another option is bulk editing the ad text using the editor:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/47657?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@MosheTLV, I think you have misunderstood my post. If I use a synonym for a callout, it is also likely to be already contained in some other ad.

And, my issue has nothing to do with *how* to achieve the changes (e.g. using bulking editing instead of one by one).

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@J Clemens: Thank you. I think you have explained very well how it works. Unfortunately, in my case, it is not what I wanted to hear - but that's not your fault.

If someone from Google were monitoring this, I think it would be much more logical, and friendly to the advertisers and good for business for all, to simply state "AdWords will not choose callouts for display that are already contained in the ad text or similar to it" - but not including it under policy violations with threatening consequences.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@RobSkelton: Thank you - I appreciate the insight into how this is commonly used.

And, I agree with you that repetition can look spammy. The think is, I do not *want* the repetition to actually be ever shown in the ad - my interest is aligned with Google's. I just want to be able to freely configure callouts, and have Google decide to (and when no to) display them with the ads (which is already doing) - but without threatening with all kinds of bad things just for having something in a callout that is already in some of the ads.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@ J Clemens: I've only used callouts sparingly, and was not aware of potential duplications. The thing is that the call outs are not always displayed by Google--the system chooses when, where, which call outs to display. So it would be a mistake to remove important content from ads, so that they might show up as a call out extension. Also, what about automated extensions? Dynamically generated by Google. I've been deleting some of their auto call outs as the system pulls things from site content that are not advantageous to sales. Like 'free parking' when that's not an issue or of value.  

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @David S,

Yes, I do understand and agree. There are always variables with any feature where something will not be ideal for someone else. You have to find a nice balance that works. I guess that is part of the fun... or part of challenge?

Cheers,

James

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Not sure if this kind of technical element is fun or challenging @J Clemens, but it does show why clients need professionals like us to find this stuff out and have a strategy....job security for us!