AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Image ad file size limit?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

In the Technical requirements for all image sizes it says that File size has to be "150 KB or smaller". However when I upload image ads it doesn't allow me anything above 50 KB. Am I doing something wrong, or is the de facto file size limit 50 KB in any case?

Regards,
Diego.

Re: Image ad file size limit?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I did get a message of "File is too large" when I tried to upload a non-standard banner dimension. I think they do not have a different message for "large file size" or "large image / pixel large".

Are you sure your image respects the pixel size for Length x height and the format is one of the : png / jpg / gif / swf ?

file-too-large.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I think it said somewhere that the problem was in the file size and that the limit was in fact 50 KB; let me test it again and I get back to you.

Regards,
Diego.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

You're right, it let me upload an image ad slightly above 50 KB now... I tried some weeks ago and it won't let me.

Can you people confirm that 150 KB is in fact the file size limit? I'm keeping my image ads under 50 KB, would love to make better versions if the limit is indeed 150 KB...

Regards,
Diego.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author DiegoValladolid
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes I can upload files that are bigger than 50 Kilobytes too. The 150 kb must be the new limit, as long as the banner is exactly the number of pixels they define as acceptable height and width.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Ok, will make them bigger then. Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
Diego.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

GDN acceptable file formats are .GIF, .JPG, .JPEG, .PNG and .SWF (flash animation).
The file size limit (weight of the banner) for these banners are 150 KB or less.
There are video banners and other expanding formats which lets you load higher weight as a polite load file.
Due to the increasing tablet and mobile device consumption for content and media Google suggests to use HTML5 format banner created using Google Web Designer.
These days Google also converts flash banners to HTML on run-time using Google Swiffy. Swiffy can be used to convert Flash Banner, Flash Games and Flash animations into HTML5 files. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am having the same problem. I customized the size to the required specs and it still says file is too big ? any suggestions ?