AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

Identical Dynamic Landing Page Content Across Multiple Accounts

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out a way to improve landing page quality for multiple accounts in the same niche (similar local businesses in different areas of the country).  Their campaigns/adgroups are practically identical, being in the same business, but different areas of the country.  But they don't all have relevant landing pages for some of the ads, forcing us to send the traffic to their homepage.

One possibility discussed is creating landing page content for each ad that can be inserted dynamically into a specific webpage, hosted on their site.  The content would be called from a database, depending on the passed URL variable (keyword).  Ideally, we would do this with server side scripting, but we don't manage their websites.  It would be a lot easier to provide them with Javascript that they could insert into the body of a blank page.  

Is there any problem with using Javascript pointing to another URL to create the landing page content?

Is it a problem to have very similar landing pages across multiple accounts - making sure they don't compete because of location?

Is there a better way to do this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Identical Dynamic Landing Page Content Across Multiple Accounts

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey,

If the Javascript redirects the user to another page, then that is a problem. AdWords will treat the first landing page as a bridge page and will disapprove your ads for wrong practices.

Having similar content on landing pages across accounts should not be such a big problem, provided your geo targets remain different and there is no double serving of ads. 

Dynamic content tends to get a little tricky is the user types in a random query and your page replaces that. So be careful with that option.

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Cotton9,

>> Is it a problem to have very similar landing pages across multiple accounts - making sure they don't compete because of location? <<

Negative, it isn't a real issue, as long as the geo-targets don't overlap.

>> Is there a better way to do this? <<

I'd consider developing a script which could pre-fabricate the possible Landing Pages in bulk. It should, of course, be coupled by extensive usage of keyword level destination URLs if need be.

Best,

Lakatos

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the reply,

I was planning on inserting body content w/ Javascript, as opposed to redirecting.

And I know what you're talking about when it comes to dynamically inserting search queries.  I've come across that myself, and it can be pretty ugly.  I was planning on using a variable attached to the ad's target URL to indicate which content to pull - no reference to the search query.  

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Lakatos,

A lot of these businesses have CMS sites that they have very little control over.  I thought about using a script to create the pages when I initially set up their account, which they could give to someone to add to the server.  But this would be difficult to maintain if we ever wanted to edit the landing page, or create more - to accomodate new search terms.  It would also breakdown (or at least look funny), if they changed their page layout at all.  These, of course, wouldn't be issues if dynamic content insertion was used.  

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

I'm not sure how much javascript the landing page bot, AdsBot-Google, reads.  Check your server logs for any http status code errors.  Also, after you see visits from that bot, check your quality scores.  See:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404197

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks RBall,

I thought about his too, and posed the question in the Results forum. I saw a year old comment from a Google employee stating that the AdWords bot recognizes Javascript content when evaluating policy compliance. She wasn't sure if it always recognized it though. But with the recent changes with the Google search bot now recognizing Javascript, I'd love to find out what the AdWords bot is capable of.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Cool. Let us know what you find.