AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

I'm confused by Google's rules on how to best set up my account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a company with 14 different locations. All locations are on one website but have their own pages (i.e. www.company.com/location_1, www.company.com/location_2). Each location has a seperate budget, but several service same areas. I have gone through differnet set up scenarios while still trying to be within the advertising policies and I keep running into issues.

Set up 1: create 1 account since I have 1 website. Create seperate campaigns for each location and further break down my keywords in different ad groups. However, I have two problems, I have same keywords spread across different campaigns and I can't set up a monthly budget for each campaign. If I created 14 different campaigns then they all share the same total budget. So locations/ads that might do better will use up more funds than one that doesn't and might not get shown enough because of a few areas that could drain the budget faster. Also, I will have same keywords spread across the seperate campaigns. (i.e. Campaign: Location 1 Ad Group: Product 1, Campaign: Location 2 Ad Group: Product 1) The products are all the same that I specialize in.

Set up 2: Create 1 account. group together the locations that serve the same area and run seperate ads for these. Thus, I would be creating 1 campaign that will run keywords for 4 different locations. each ad will point to the corresponding location page on my website, but my ads will be competing and they won't all get shown so I run the risk of losing business at some locations. I also risk the budgeting issue where some areas might use up more funds than others. (i.e. Campaign 1: Product 1; Ad group: Location 1, Ad group: Location 2: Ad group: Location 3; Campaign 2: Product 2; Ad group: Location 4, Ad group: Location 5 etc)

Set up 3: create multiple accounts for each location. Remember I have one website with all locations on it. This solves my budget issues. Each location will spend only what I want. However, I run the risk of double serving. And I believe this violates Googles Advertising Policies.

What is the best way that I can set this up where I don't run into budgeting issues, campaigns competing and double serving?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I'm confused by Google's rules on how to best set up my account.

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Double serving is the concern, just stick with one account and keep trying to find a way to make it work like you want it to.

I do have some questions:

1. What about location extensions or places pages? Does each location have it's own places page, or is there only one for the entire company?

There is an option to only show this ad with one address when you have location extensions and you click on the edit function. However, it's... tricky. As I recall, if the google machine determines that a user is out of range of the address in the location extensions linked to the ad, then no ad at all could be shown, even if it would have incurred an impression otherwise.

2. What kind of location targeting are you using?

If you are in the US, you can get all the way down to the zip code level. If you have multiple locations in the same zip code though, that wouldn't be quite enough. You can use radius targeting, but the drawback there is similar to the location extensions and ads situation - User location identification isn't perfect, and the radius you may need to use to prevent overlap, may be too small.

"I can't set up a monthly budget for each campaign. If I created 14 different campaigns then they all share the same total budget."

The budget for each campaign is independant of one another. Ex. If I have a $200/day total budget for adwords, I can set the campaign budget of a Portland campaign to $150, and a Vancouver campaign to $50. $200/day in total spend, but I can allocate it between the campaigns however I want. Furthermore, I might not spend all of the allocated campaign budget for either campaign, depending on the situation. 

Here's what I would try - 

Set up a campaign for each location. Set the targeting of the campaign as restricively as possible to prevent overlap. Link to the specific places page for each location, or set up a manual location extension for each location. Then show every ad only with that location. Include the location modified terms in thsoe accounts, ONLY in exact or phrase match, and use the negative phrase match of all the other locations as a cmapaign level negative KW. (Ex. -"Portland" in the Vancouver campaign, and vice-versa) I may alos add a location specific ad for each targeted area. At least modify the display URL to reflect the location - Ex. Website com/Portland.

Now, with every campaign so restrictive, you may struggle to get much volume (impressions). So, I would also have a generic campaign that covers all of the targeted areas. I would put the generic, non-location specific terms in this campaign. I would include ALL the location extensions, and let the google machine determine which location was "best" based on the location signals available. Depending on volume, I may also exclude all the locations as negative KW's at the campaign level as well. Ex -"Portland" and -"Vancouver".

Now to budget: Take the total amount you have for daily adbuy, and divide amongst the specific location campaigns as you see fit. If you do NOT spend all of your allocated budget, then put the remainder of that money towards the generic campaign. Ex. $1,000/day total adwords budget, you only end up spending $800/day between all the specific location campaigns, then budget $200/day for the generic campaign.

If specific location campaigns spend more budget than others, there is some reason for that. Part of the process is finding out why. What is the return on your ad spend? Do the locations that spend more make more? Why short your company profit by putting equal budget into unequal locations? Which location makes more money - The Portland or Vancouver store? If I split the budget equally, I may lose sales shorting the more profitable Portland location, and I can't make any more than the less profitable market will bare in Vancouver.

Did any of that help at all? Smiley Happy 

Tom

Re: I'm confused by Google's rules on how to best set up my account.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello;

I agree with Tom;

Option 3 is "out of the table" since violating the AdWords Policy principle of "one business - one account" (aka "double serving").

In options 1,2 - you have already concluded that keywords will compete;

So I would set different campaigns: one for each location. Avoiding "locations overlap". (This can be done only in the US - I assume you are targeting locations in the US)

As for budgeting I would use shared budget;

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’