AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

I am receiving suspension warnings due to ads that have already been removed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been mysteriously receiving emails from google adwords that I am in violation of adwords policies because urls in ads I have delete long time ago no longer work. I cannot figure out what do and don't want my account suspended obviously. Clearly I am not doing anything wrong because I have decided NOT TO advertise those urls and have let them expire and therefore also removed both adgroups and the ads themselves.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I am receiving suspension warnings due to ads that have already been removed

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
If the violation is due to content on the URLs - you must fix the content before abandoning the URLs.
Abandoning the URLs will NOT resolve the issue and the account will be suspended.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: I am receiving suspension warnings due to ads that have already been removed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The urls were fine. There were no issues, but we simply did not want
to advertise the content anymore. Now the urls are no longer used or
renewed and thus probably the registrar are showing parked pages
there, but we are NOT advertising the urls. We have deleted the
campaign, the adgroups and the ads themselves.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again @Kanokkan A

It sounds that the content on those landing pages was in violation. Even if you don't want to advertise those landing pages anymore  - you must fix the content before abandoning / unlinking them from the AdWords account.

If you deleted the campaign before fixing g the content - the account would be suspended.  All landing pages linked to an account must have content which complies with the Policy. This is an essential component of the Policy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
@MosheTLV I have understood (although I have never seen it presented this bluntly) that the domain is tied to the AdWords account forever - if you sell or abandon the domain and someone else puts completely different content on it, YOU remain responsible for that content complying with Google's AdWords terms of service.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello @Phillip B;

Not quite; 

Phillip B wrote:
@MosheTLV I have understood (although I have never seen it presented this bluntly) that the domain is tied to the AdWords account forever - if you sell or abandon the domain and someone else puts completely different content on it, YOU remain responsible for that content complying with Google's AdWords terms of service.

1. The advertiser is responsible for the content of the domain as long as it  linked to the AdWords  account
  2. At the point in which the domain is unlinked -the content must be in compliance. (i.e the domain must be tagged  "in a good standing".)  if  you unlinked the domain at a point in which a violation was found - then the domain would still be considered as linked, though technically it was abandoned. And the account owner would be  responsible to fix the content. (Whether this could be done or not - because the domain could have  a new owner - this is a different issue.)
  3. If at the point of unlinking - the domain is in compliance (i.e "in a good standing") -  the new owner  is responsible from that point and on to maintain  the domain in compliance.

I hope I have clarified the issue.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"At the point in which the domain is unlinked"

How would one unlink the domain from their adwords account?

I thought domains were forever linked within adwords once you use the domain in an ad?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@James P

Though  an established organization  most likely keeps the main domain for good, this is common that an organization sets a separate  domain for seasonal promotions or could launch a new domain and abandon the current one.

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
@MosheTLV The question @JamesP and I both have is "At the point in which the domain is unlinked" - this "unlinked" step is not documented and the unwritten best practice has been to always keep a domain you've used for AdWords rather than let it expire. Short of direct intervention from Google on your account, how to you "unlink" a domain.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Phillip B;

Correct with a modification.

It is true that in the past, the practice was to keep the domain, even when not using it, should it is  needed, at some point. Today, when domains are cheap and advertisers buy domains for every seasonal campaign / promotion, advertisers  abandon domains during a "spring cleaning". At that point the domain has to be in a good standing.

PS: you unlink a domain by not renewing  the registration and removing the campaign.