AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How to properly do affiliate marketing with google adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Guys,

How to properly do affiliate marketing with google adwords? I have a few costume URLS and would like to build a site out using multiple affiliate products as we are not a retailer nor a distributor. How do we effectively do this without being banned?

Subsequently, we are a media company and would like to market the following within the same account but scared that doing any affiliate stuff will ban us.. 

1. Market our companies services
  2. Market niche sites to generate leads
  3. Market affiliate style sites to generate extra income on the side

Thoughts?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to properly do affiliate marketing with google adwords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Bolt Media.
The "Bridge Page" AdWords policy is one that's enforced extremely toughly.

For some reason, you wont get an answer out of Google so let me save you the trouble. This comes from MANY years experience....

EVERY AFFILIATE SITE violates the bridge page policy. Let me say that again. EVERY AFFILIATE SITE VIOLATES the AdWords bridge page policy.

If the main purpose of your page is to send visitors to another page (and let's be honest, that's EXACTLY what an affiliate site is), then Google will ban you.

Let me put it in a much clearer way. If you removed ALL of the affiliate links and ads from your page, would you still pay to send traffic to it via AdWords? If the answer is no, it's a bridge page.

There are some sites that violate this policy (buycheapr.com, lowpriceshopper.co.uk, shopping.com, shopzilla and a lot more) we all know this, but Google turns a blind eye to these. You're not going to be able to get Google to turn a blind eye.

I'm telling you not to bother because you will be banned for LIFE. In 5 years time, you may want to advertise a business that doesn't violate the AdWords policy and you'll regret being banned then.

I know this is not the answer that you wanted to hear. Sorry. But it's the truth.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
All makes sense. I figured they would ban the account. I've dealt with other situations for banning before, but I've never done any affiliate stuff such as a mirco site with 3rd party products.

Thanks for the reply!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I watched this video recently, and they say that affiliate marketing makes second largest income in Google advertising.
Can you verify your answer +Dave_Davis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k-Yetqd-4k&list=UUb-NNRXwCxsyHJOmQvWDzjQ

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Drazen,
I don't know what you're asking me. Can you elaborate?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry, you should watch the video..
I think they quote you!
"Let me put it in a much clearer way. If you removed ALL of the affiliate links and ads from your page, would you still pay to send traffic to it via AdWords? If the answer is no, it's a bridge page."
Watch from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k-Yetqd-4k&list=UUb-NNRXwCxsyHJOmQvWDzjQ#t=413
And they say that if you add value to your landing page (separate domain) you can run affiliate programs.
Offcourse, obliging other policies as well.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah, according to the video, as long as you give Google users Unique, Relevant, Content , you're good to go

you can do affiliate marketing, provided you meet the

-bridge page policy

-mirror pages policy

-double serving policy

and Google gets a lot of business from affiliate marketers.

As long as you give Google users Unique, Relevant, Content , you're good to go

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This was an excellent watch. Thanks for posting and thanks for the fellows at ppcXpress for going more in detail about this topic!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I'm pretty blown away here. Are you guys kidding?

You'd rather take the advice of an affiliate who's not running AdWords ads over the official AdWords policy.

Yes I was quoted in that video and the response was totally manipulated. These people don't "have" products to sell. Except maybe an ebook or course to sell to you.

I'd love to see the "affiliate offers" these people are actually promoting on AdWords. Of course they won't share because they don't have any.

Bolt, I'd be careful in selecting the "solution" as the answer you want to hear over the answer that's right.

The very definition of an affiliate is to send traffic to another site.

Leaving aside the obvious exceptions to these policies in the form of the likes of ask . com, if the purpose of your site is sending your visitor to another site, it's a bridge page. Affiliates insert themselves into the buying cycle. I know, I used to be one. A very good one at that. 

Of course, the original question is not the purpose of this thread is it?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm going to present MY experience creating an Affiliate marketing website and trying to allow them to let me spend money using their Adwords feature.

I launched a website abc-profits.com about 45 days ago. I was given a $100 voucher to advertise using adwords as part of my hosting deal. I went through the adwords ads I have seen on my site advertising FREE Training, Free ebooks, Free whatever. At one time had the word FREE Showing on my site in 3 of 5 placements from various companies. Guess what... You cannot create an ad using the word FREE, that's what I was told when they suspended the ads I had running.

I explained I was representing an affiliate that does in fact offer FREE training for life if that's all you want from the website.. of course they want to create an upsell but the fact is, the offer was valid... NO NO NO said Adwords.

THEN.. My site was suspended for "lack of relevant content" and "Making false claims". So I went to the emerald palace and begged to be given guidance to get my site in line with all policies. I run a straight ship. It's not in my nature to bait and switch, make grand promises, or flat lie to prospective customers... It's not how I like to be dealt with and I follow that mantra.

Google said I was using links that lead off the page and that was a violation. Well Hell! Every affiliate website does that! They even got on me about referencing links back to other pages like Forbes.com or Warriorforums. So I begrudgingly pulled all my banners and links. That would fix it... W-R-O-N-G! They said I was out of compliance because I had no lrgal disclaimers on my page. I said oh! An Oversight.. I can remedythat with a few added pages and a group of footer links... Like the ones you see on the footers of most every website on the web... WRONG! We need you to place a disclaimer on all your blog posts saying the results are Not Guaranteed. REALLY!??! A footer that stays attached to every page with legals in it is not enough?? WOW! So I took a deep breath and decided I would play the game... I added disclaimers to all my blog posts... even those that had nothing to do with a sale, just market observations... no ads anymore because I had banners on those pages that were now removed. That should suffice right??? WRONG!!!!

Now they tell me I violate the Bridge Policy, I need to "Make sure there is multiple pages the domain leads to, to avoid being classified as a bridge page." IT"S A BLOG SITE!!! There are 22 pages of blog posts alone!! How many more do I need???!!!

There's more.... I have been informed "If you are receiving any information from the user, include where the information is going." I guess the Email disclaimer written into every page and included in the content of the frontpage isn't clear enough.

I must supply my physical address and phone numbers... I have a Contact Page with support addresses, I get spam phone calls if I include my phone number on the website.. I may well write it on a bathroom stall!

And finally today the last correction requested is ... wait for it.....

Add disclaimers to the page...

yes ADD MORE DISCLAIMERS TO YOUR PAGE!!!! What the hell ??!!

I am decidedly NOT inclined to remedy these issues sent to me today, the representative even told me that they would likely require me to rebuild my site from scratch to comply and that it was more than likely a "BAD FIT" to continue with making my site compliant... it's never gonna happen,

Affiliate marketing is being beat down like telemarketing was back in the late 1980's . Dave_Davis is completely correct in his statement that every affiliate page does violate the Bridge Page Policy... there is no way around it. Google won't even allow back linking, a staple for getting web traffic used by affiliate marketers. They just decided they have no interest in advertising that sector.

I have spent the past month trying to work with these goons and it just won't happen... Affiliate marketing will be relegated to contact management services and social media outlets.. but not Google AdWords. they don't want my type of business.