AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How to Beat AdWords and Get Away With It - The #1 Secret is Inside

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Here is the #1 Secret to beating AdWords: Boost your CTR and Cost as much as you can tolerate and ignore everything else.  The reason is because this impacts Google's profitability directly.  There is nothing else in the AdWords algorithm that has any value.  Mobile friendliness, user experience, credibility, etc. are all nice buzz words but have 0 impact on Quality Score or ad position.  Their AdWords policies are loosely, if ever enforced.  If you spend enough money, they'll leave you alone.

Knowing this information can be powerful in the wrong hands as it is in our particular vertical which focuses on patents and inventions.  

Google AdWords is being rampaged by lead aggregators and competitors using unfair competition.  The lead aggregators occupy as many of the top spots on Google AdWords as possible and hold everybody hostage to buy leads from them.  They open as many websites as they can under different names and IP addresses as possible and offer no different user experience at all.  They post their ad and then sell the leads to as many companies as they can like throwing a Gazelle into a Lion's Den.  User experience is totally thrown out of the window.

Listed are the offending Lead Aggregators:

InventMyIdea.com

InventionIdeas.org (also currently running InventionSubmission.com on AdWords under a separate IP in another country)

Idea4Invention.com 

Here is a screenshot of a post I made back in October in the community:

InventionSubmission.JPG

Bing leads are far superior in value to Google and it is clear why.  They don't tolerate this type of behavior because surprisingly, even Microsoft knows to draw the line somewhere.

For proof, here is a screenshot of searches done at the same time today with Google shown first: (notice the lead aggregators listed above alongside the same companies that also "advertise" on the websites)

GoogleIdeaforInvention.JPG

... and here is Bing (notice that none of the lead aggregators listed have a presence in their paid search)

BingIdea4Invention.JPG

I am sure this exists in other verticals as well.  Google obviously needed to get their share price up at whatever expense possible.  They dominate paid search with their clear monopoly.  The only competition is Bing with a mere fraction of their market share.  We've already begun our migration away from Google and I'm sure we're not alone.  AdWords worked great until they started allowing this nonsense last year.  If you are a consumer searching for valuable information, Bing is a far better choice because they have at least some standards in their advertising policies.

If you're a business and choose to play this losing AdWords battle, just remember 2 things: CTR and Cost and throw everything else out of the window.  Calling and filling in feedback forms is a ploy to divert your time and energy away from your business and keep the offending sites in business as long as possible.  All of your time and energy should be focused on CTR and Cost.  After all, it raises costs in the auction and drives everybody's prices through the roof making it nearly impossible to stay profitable.

I'm waiting for the, "this needs time to be investigated response" and "here is a feedback form for you to fill out" or "there are a lot of sites and it is hard to monitor them all."  There is clearly mandate from above to kick the can down the road as long as possible.

I welcome any logical, thoughtful response as to why Google tolerates such obvious gaming of their system.  It appears to be a short term money grab while small businesses and consumers get hung out to dry. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Beat AdWords and Get Away With It - The #1 Secret is Inside

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

For other users who   read your post, it would fair to mention that your concerns, back then, were forwarded to Google, and Google did reply;

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/How-to-Beat-AdWords-and-Get-Away-With-It-...

I do understand that you are unhappy with Google's reply, and disagree  with Google about  (not)  proactively and decisively take actions  to keep  the Google advertising  "real estates"  equally open  to all advertisers, big and small alike.

However, for the goal of transparency, I link Google's reply from February 2015, which is still valid;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’