AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How many puncation marks are too many?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Recently one of my ads were rejected and the reason was: '' unneccesary puncation marks and symbols ''. So I would like to know how many puncation marks ( ! ? , . ) can my ad contain without AdWords rejecting it? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author hallop
September 2015

Re: How many puncation marks are too many?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hallop,

I'm not sure there is a number but if you read the policy you may be better able to determine what is wrong.

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=176095

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi hallop, I'd be inclined to say it's anything more than one at a time.  I'm pretty sure the "spirit" of this restriction is to prevent the sort of multiple exclamation!!!! or ****stars**** that you see in promotional text sometimes.

With such a limited number of characters to work with I'd really recommend trying to use every one of them to their best advantage, though at the same time I would normally recommend a single ! after the call to action (if sense supports it).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You should never have to instances of "!" within your ad. Even if it's spaced out on different lines of the ad copy.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi leatherlidinser, do you have a reason for not wanting to use a single exclamation mark?  It's a perfectly reasonable thing to do and makes sense on a call to action.  Of course, if you want to use a really good CTA and the exclamation (or full stop) prevents you from using the exact words you'd want to then leave it off, but otherwise I'd say it complements the wording and makes it more powerful.

Jon

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jon, the editor is all whacked up on here, so I can't see what I'm typing. I meant to say "you should never have two instances of "!"...." We use "!" in all of our ads and the reason we do this is because we've done a ton of ad variation testing and have found that the use of exclamation marks have proven to increase our CTR.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Ah!  Makes a lot more sense read that way!

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom! 

More than one exclamation mark in the ad text was my problem. 

Repeated punctuation or symbols: does this mean that I shouldnt use more than one same kind of puncation on my ad text ( for example: comma at the begging of ad text and at the end of ad text ) or that I should not use them successively ( !! ) ? 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

I'm sure there'll be rules about both hallop.  The obvious restriction is upon multiple marks in a row (e.g. !!!!) but I'd be surprised if using *stars*like*this* would be allowed.

Jon