AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How do I stop another business from stealing my name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I own a business in a Toronto Suburb, and we are losing orders to other local businesses showing our name in their adwords hits.

How do I stop another business from using my business name that I have protection over. Luckily the other business is in my city so I have some local legal options, but can I complain?

My protected business name is "Browns Flower Shop" and I am the first organic result, obviously... both ads are not my business.

Any help appreciated, I am concerned that only my Lawyer can help.

Nathan

Browns Search.JPG

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for posting in the AdWords Community. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you have a trademark or other sort of protection on your business name, please read through our trademark policy here. After you've read through all the policy information and believe your trademark is protected, you are able to submit a complaint here.

We hope this helps clear up your issue. Best of luck getting this resolved! If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best,

Jens

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nathan B
April 2017

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

It looks like they are using DKI for the ads, and some variation of 'Browns Flowers' is pulling through. It may not technically be a protected brand TM violation, but it's really sloppy execution on their part. The best thing you can do is protect your brand through advertising. Even if they change the ad content, there is still nothing stopping them from targeting search queries relating to your brand.

Tom