AdWords
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How do I prove we don't promote weapons?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We're a manufacturer of sporting cutlery such as pocket knives, kitchen knives, rescue tools, etc.   

We've tried to create AdWords ads in numerous attempts, where we continually and quickly get disapproved.  Is there any way to prove that we are not in the business of selling weapons?   I feel that if we sold a screwdriver tool versus a sharpened blade tool, we'd have different results, which seems unfair.

Thoughts?

Jason

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I prove we don't promote weapons?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Jason,

Welcome to AdWords Community!

AdWords Dangerous products or services policy clearly doesn't allow "any other product that's designed to injure an opponent in sport, self-defense, or combat. Examples: Throwing stars, brass knuckles, crossbows".

If your products do not directly falls under this category, it is on a case by case basis. With more info about your products, I'd be able to be specific.

Good day,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Re: How do I prove we don't promote weapons?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Sumanth,

Thank you for your reply.

I know that knives technically fall under the policy, and can respect that. I also respect that in some cases, ads visually can give the feeling of weaponry, etc, to a viewer.

The statement "that's designed to injure an opponent in sport" is not true 100%. The same can be said for a screwdriver, in which you could use a screwdriver as a self defense weapon, but it's designed and normally used as a tool in assisting the tightening or loosening of screws.

Our product brand has 3 classes of products, with one of the classes having a very specific line, marketing to Military and Police for the use of BOTH self defense and utility (removing cuffs, cutting seat belts, etc).

With that said, most of our knives are for utility and NOT weaponry/self defense (I do understand the perception for the average user).

In any case, we'd like to learn of ways that we can help Google with the defining of the policy for the advertisement of "safe" and "acceptable" knife tool ads for the benefit of both of us. Is that even a possibility? Otherwise, we're forced to put our entire spending budget towards Twitter, Facebook (post boosts) and Bing because of this difficulty with Google AdWords.

Thanks again,
Jason