AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How can I get contact info for the advertiser of an AdWords ad?

N/A
# 1
N/A

Hi,

There is an ad which infringes my registered trade mark, and I'd like to take it up with the advertiser directly. The advertiser's website does not have any contact information or details of the owner, and the whois information is false. How do I find out who the advertiser is?

George

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How can I get contact info for the advertiser of an AdWords ad?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

For privacy reasons, I'm guessing you're not going to get that information from Google.  They provide the following resources for Trademark Owners:  https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562124#

Good Luck!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

N/A
# 3
N/A

I know what you're saying, but it's unfortunate!

The current law in the UK is such that use of a trade mark in a keyword will in certain circumstances be an infringement of the trade mark. Nevertheless, Google has a policy of not accepting complaints in respect of the use of a trade mark in keywords, and says "we encourage trademark owners to resolve their disputes directly with the advertisers". However, if an advertiser hides its identity and contact details, it is not possoble to resolve disputes directly. Any ideas, or does anyone have contact information for Google's legal team?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Right...interflora...

So, now you're suggesting that it's not an issue with an Ad, it's an issue with a Keyword (very different situations)...Is this a competitor of yours?  If so, it appears to me that Google may not do much. I guess it depends on how transparent they are or if they're misleading users...

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en&ref_topic=16316#

Under our EU and EFTA policy, the following types of ads may use a trademark as a keyword, provided that the combination of the keyword and ad is not confusing (as described above). The following are examples, and not an exhaustive list:

• Ads using a trademarked term when that term is being used in its ordinary meaning rather than in reference to the trademark
  • Ads for competing products or services
  • Ads for resale of the trademarked goods or service
  • Ads for the sale of components, replacement parts, or compatible products corresponding to a trademark
  • Ads for informational sites about a product or service corresponding to the trademark

Again, I'm sorry to say but what you're looking at is either a policy issue with Google, which I have provided the correct way for you to approach or a personal legal matter in which case, no one here is going to be able to help you, we're advertisers, not lawyers nor part of the Google policy/legal team.  I'm sure if you did some searching on "Google" you can find some alternative ways to contact them and maybe the legal team etc...I do not have that information.

Good Luck!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’