AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How can I ensure easy phone contacts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I provide emergency services: towing and roadside assistance, so it is imperative that potential customers can easily and immediately contact me by phone. How can I ensure that in all of my ads, regardless of the device used, that my phone number is prominently displayed since I can not include it in the text of the ads? I am using call extensions. Does this ensure that my phone number is visible to everyone seeing my ad?

I am in rural Alaska and parts of my service area have limited or no data signal. People are not surfing the web looking at different websites; they are seeking a phone number to call to obtain immediate help. If using a laptop or desktop computer, they are often searching for a friend or relative who is stranded in an area with no data signal and, again, just want a phone number to call for immediate help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How can I ensure easy phone contacts?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Parkshighway,

Please read this article in the Help section

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453991?hl=en

"Call extensions targeting the Display Network will only show on high-end mobile phones, not on desktops, laptops, or tablets.These extensions do not support the use of Google forwarding numbers or the tracking of calls as conversions."

I recomend using the Enhanced Call Extension in Search Networks campaigns and in the Display network after enabling mobile aswell.

My phone extensions are displayed almost everytime an ad is shown, just like the location extension, no matter the position of the ads. But if you want clicks you might bid for positions like 4 or 5 to get a cheap and efficient position. Only the sitelinks , the product links and the social links are displayed only when the ad apears on the top 1 position, and they are usefull as they take up more space and push the other ads ( no 2 and 3 and organic ) bellow the extensions.

You can use automatic rules to change your bid daily and target for position 4 which is top right.

If you need more info , feel free to post more questions .

Re: How can I ensure easy phone contacts?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello parkshighway;

This is a very good question;

There is a requirement for minimum calls per ad-group to have call extensions shown. (At least according to the documentation - see below. ) However, that might have changed with the last changes Google has introduced to call extensions (e.g the clickable button.) Google does not disclose the number, but the 30-50 clicks is a number I have heard. (Thoughת has never been confirmed - I think it is a flexible one- per campaign performance.)

According to Google the "rule" applies to both "forwarding numbers" and to your own number;

Quoting "straight from the horse's mouth":

""Keep in mind that your ad group will have to receive a minimum number of clicks to be able to show call extensions, and a minimum number of calls to show a Google forwarding number."

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704420

I will try to check with Google if that has changed, since now with mobile "all over" users wants to call.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

use

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am getting more confused. 

I think that the problem is that my business is so atypical. First of all, my business is in an extremely rural area with less than 4,000 people in over 14,000 square miles. We do an average of less than two jobs per day and less than one-half of those result from direct contact. We are the only towing company in our service area of over 150 miles, so we have no direct competition. W do not provide service outside of our area and we do not need national or even statewide exposure because we can not effectively expand our market geographically. Potential customer do not browse the internet looking for us. If a potential customer can find our phone number, it is almost certain that we will get a call and get the job. 

I get a low number of clicks and with our low volume of business, there is no way that I could ever get 30-50 clicks in a year. I do not think that I want to use call-forwarding. I am not worried about filtering calls or tracking information. I just want potential customers to see my phone number when they are searching for my type of service in or for my service area. It would not work to have customers submitting information on my website or by e-mail. Contact is always going to be by phone because customers need immediate two-way communication.

I do have upgraded call extension using my own phone number. What else should I be doing? How do I increase my bids? Will someone using a desktop or laptop computer ever see my phone number or will they need to click on my website to get my number? 

Re: use

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) Let's start testing your keywords.Login to your adwords account, click on the upper green menu on the option "Tools and analysis" and choose the last option "Ad preview and diagnosis", chose your location and type a keywords from your keyword list to see how your ad will appear and repeat this step for all your MAIN keywords if they are not too many. Let me know if you see your phone number apear near the ads and what is the position of your ads . If your location is not chosen right, you will get an error message even though you have typed a good keyword.

2) In order to increase your clicks above the estimated 30-50 per year, tell me :

a) How many keywords do you use and how many ad groups

b) Have you tried the "Tools and Analysis / Keyword tool" in order to add more keywords that are related to your business ?

You don't have an atypical business, there are thousands of towing companies all over the world. You have an advantage in adwords since you have no competition in the area.

Re: use

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello again;

Well... A few points;

1. As for the minimum number of clicks:   I referred a question to Google. Let's see what they are coming back to with.

2. It certainly could be that AdWords is not the tool to promote your unique business, and you need to work on your SEO, so an organic search will show your business at the top of the organic search results;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’