AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How broad match can help you by this ??

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone,

I was reading through the GCP Learning Center and i fell over this weird contradiction :

In the link https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/answer/2497828?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=2799762

says 

How broad match can help you

You can set any or all of your search-targeted keywords to broad match to help you do the following:

• Spend less time building keyword lists: You don't have to think of every possible keyword variation - our system does the work for you. That's a time saver, since roughly 20 per cent of the searches that Google receives each day are ones that we haven't seen in at least 90 days. This unpredictable search behaviour can make it nearly impossible for you to create a keyword list using only exact match that covers all possible relevant searches.
  • Spend your money on keywords that work: If your ad receives no clicks on a particular keyword variation, our system will quickly stop showing your ads for that and similar search terms. This prevents you from accruing click charges for keyword variations that aren't working and helps you focus on the keywords that work.

Can anyone answer the following question please :

How quickly (& why) the system will stop showing ads for a search term because it does not receives clicks since roughly 20 per cent of the searches that Google receives each day are ones that we haven't seen in at least 90 days ? (!!)

George Gemenetzis
Don't forget to Star or credit an answer as an AdWords Accepted Solution if it helped you.
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gege
September 2015

Re: How broad match can help you by this ??

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi gege;
Your point is valid I agree;
Now, the best way to communicate it to the editors an writers of the help center / GCP, is by using the link at the bottom of the help center home page;
Be surprised, but someone is actually reading it!
https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/topic/184?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=20318

PS: A slight correction: AdWords revenues   in 2012 were above $40 billion  Smiley Happy

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

My view; this is a "general statement " by Google to illustrate the benefit of  using  "broad match". ((I do not recommend that). As usual with Google, this is based on "averages", while  Google does not report the standard deviation, hence could be misleading;

In Adwords, "God is in the details" - and the details is analyzing the performances of each keyword separately.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
i am not gonna disagree with you Moshe. You have a point. But this is material for beginners. Fundamentals. There should be more care taken in the description of broad match in the "manual". New adwords accounts administrators usually start by choosing this option (its the default one) and the new certified individuals are reading this material first. Ad words makes Google almost 200 billion $ per year. There should be more careful and these contradictions must be reported to them somehow. Thx for your time and your thoughts.
George Gemenetzis
Don't forget to Star or credit an answer as an AdWords Accepted Solution if it helped you.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author gege
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi gege;
Your point is valid I agree;
Now, the best way to communicate it to the editors an writers of the help center / GCP, is by using the link at the bottom of the help center home page;
Be surprised, but someone is actually reading it!
https://support.google.com/adwords/certification/topic/184?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=20318

PS: A slight correction: AdWords revenues   in 2012 were above $40 billion  Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Moshe TLV,

My bank account status depends on Google Adwords, i would be terrified if no one read it Smiley Wink
Thank you for providing me this Link, it would take me some time since i would find it.

About the revenue correction, in Greece we have a phrase for these kind of situation :

He is not John he is Johnny
George Gemenetzis