AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

How ads with phone number are still getting approved and displayed?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I still see many ads getting approved and displayed with phone numbers in their ad text but as we all know that as per Google's latest policy it is not allowed, for example if you search a keyword "printer support" or "windows support" in google.com (USA) you will see many ads containing phone number in their ad text. Is Google biased with this policy or they are allowing this to some advertiser under some special condition? I personally knows an account which is created in last week of this month and all ads with the phone number in the ad text were approved and running successfully and if I do the same they get disapproved. How is it possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How ads with phone number are still getting approved and displayed

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Henry H ! Welcome to the community !

You can use phone numbers in the form of the "call extensions" in enhanced campaigns. This is not so hard to configure and it will be displayed near your ad.

Read more about it here

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453991?hl=en

Still some policies apply to call extensions

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/1054212?hl=en#

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Adrian Thanks for your answer, but I am very well aware of the call extension, in my question I clearly stated that how come ads with phone number mentioned in their ad text is getting approved, I can see many ads running in the same format, containing phone number not as a call extension but in the ad text. How is it still possible?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Henry, I'm struggling to find a source but my understanding was that the disapproval of Ads with phone numbers was a rolling process not an immediate change.  If I'm correct, it's likely simply that these are older, outstanding Ads that haven't been collected in that process yet.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

It is likely that they used an uncommon string of characters to build the phone number like the letter I from Insane instead of a number one 1 and the letter O from Once instead of a zero 0.

If they are your competition and you want to speed up the process of disaproval , you can report them using this form

https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/feedback

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
@Cobnut

Just to my best of knowledge if you search for the keyword "windows support" in google.com (USA) 11 ads are shown on the first page,out of those 11 competitors I personally knows 3 of them, just next door to me, these are new accounts opened in the last week or so, and they are using phone numbers without any pain in the ad text plus excessive use of "Brand Names" in the ad title and description, only thing they tell me is that they get it done by calling the AdWord support team (what reasoning they give to them, that they don't disclose)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Adrian I studied their ads again but there is no use of uncommon strings of characters, Out of the 11 ads which shows upon for the keyword "windows support" on Google.com (USA) I personally knows 3 competitors sitting next door to me, these are new accounts and all they say is that they get their ads approved by (ads containing phone number and brand names in ad text and ad description) calling the AdWord support team.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Henry, I found it Smiley Happy

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2942253?hl=en#

I was right, existing Ads, i.e. ones with phone numbers in them since before the change of policy won't be disapproved until July at the earliest and I imagine that explains most of what you're seeing.  If you've got people saying they've found a way round the restriction on new Ads then I'd suggest either a) they're perhaps being cautious with the truth, b) support is being lenient because the full restriction doesn't come into play for another month.

If you would care to provide an example of one of these Ads, I'll escalate the issue and we'll see if what they're saying is true.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits